New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bet you could make your own if you had to.

This is one of the plates.

DSCN6369_zpsynmnrp0n.jpg

DSCN6368_zpsmgmp9n71.jpg

I don't know what the other plate looks like, but I bet you only had one bolt of the two holding the 320 distributor on, correct?

Two plates made exactly the same would likely work, they need to be just thick enough to not have the distributor bottom out, who knows, maybe one plate would work, the two plate system works  for timing marks, but a timing light will work just fine, you don't need the marks.

Yes, pos ground. I'm 99% sure it's the stock generator so when I hooked up a battery the first time I hooked it up neg ground and burned out my coil. Oops. 

I've always wondered what the previous owner did to make it run neg. ground. He probably made the switch when he swapped in the J15. 

You have to be able to find something, even the plate on a Datsun 521 with an L16 with a dual point dist. will likely work, you can see in the photo below the L16 plate on the J series distributor, the holes are a little rotated, but until one tries to time it you don't know if it will work or not.

Some one down there must have an old L16 dual point dist. that they have no use for, people throw L16 engines away because L20b is better choice.

DSCN6398_zpsnvv917d2.jpg

DSCN6402_zpskjxudez4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Did up my air cleaner--lots of wire brushing and sanding to get the layers of gunk off for painting. A while back I bought a 1960s Datsun dealership paint chart so I was able to match the factory air cleaner blue at my local paint place and have them fill a couple rattle cans. It was missing the rubber boot what the carb hooks in so I cut a new piece of rubber to fit. 

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

• Like 2

So I dropped the battery back in for the first time since pulling the motor and cleaning/painting the engine compartment and now the headlights/parking lights/break lights don't work. They all worked before I started mucking with the engine bay...

Any advice on where to start my trouble shooting? 

The 20 Amp fuse closest to the windshield is the fuse for the lights. My head, tail, park, dash, & brake lights went out last week and I discovered that the rearmost fuse wasn't making good contact. Cleaned the fuse contacts and that fixed it up. It's a start.

• Like 1