New 320 owner, 62?

• Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#21 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:55 AM

One thing that is bothering me, does it have any kind of matching numbers anywhere? I mean, the paperwork should match up with something on the truck. Where did he put this new fictitious VIN?

#22 320 Newb

320 Newb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Cars:Datsun 320

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:27 AM

Often times DMV will make up a VIN, but this is always accompanied by a sticker or stamping.

If he made it up, he's my new mentor.

If he made it up maybe we can get him to join the group and give a tutorial.

I'll have to hunt for a sticker or stamping--it definitely looks like a DMV generated VIN. The bill of sale is actually from the tow company so I'm hoping that ups my chances of everything being legit.

I hate to be the guy that beats someone down on price on Craigslist calls back with a ton of questions after but I might have to be that guy. And dollars to donuts he doesn't respond. 

#23 Conner

Conner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cars:2009 G37s 1968 2000 Roadster (project) 1964 L320 (project)

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:15 AM

If the DMV assigned the current VIN they would have done so in the absence of knowing what the original VIN was.  If it were me I would get the original/actual VIN off the frame rail, take a rubbing of it using paper and a crayon or pencil if you can, and try to get the DMV to issue a corrected title with the real VIN on it. 

Aftermarket Datsun engine bay I.D. tags are available for the roadsters and Z-cars.  I don't know if there is one available for the 320s or if they may look the same as the early roadster ones, but you may be able to get a tag and get the VIN and engine number stamped on it and install it back on the firewall.  Although it does look like you have a later engine in your truck so you may not want to stamp that engine number on the repro tag just to avoid someone, someday thinking it is a numbers matching truck if it isn't. 

My VIN tag: 

2013_04_13_vin%20tag.JPG

#24 Charlie69

Charlie69

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Cars:1966 520, 1985 720 ST King Cab, 1986 720 King Cab

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:45 PM

I just did a Bonded title on a 1985 720 King cab in Phoenix that was missing the dash VIN plate.  The AZ DMV Issued an AZ VIN Tag that went on the drivers door jamb.  I is a blue and white sticker and I believe it starts with AZ and it has the actual Nissan VIN number as the AZ vin.  I also bought a 1941 Chevy pickup back in the late 1970s that had an AZ Vin brass plate on the drivers door jamb.

AZ issues these on reconstructed vehicles that VIN numbers do not match.  AZ DMV inspector told me to bring in my 66 520 and have they level 2 inspection done because I have a 1976 620 engine and transmission and a 1980 720 chassis in the truck. By doing this I will get an AZ VIN issued and the title work will record the engine and chassis numbers and be on record.  This will mean if I get pulled over by any law enforcement they will not be able to impound my 520 for non matching VIN numbers.

#25 320 Newb

320 Newb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:22 AM

Thanks Charlie for the AZ specific info!

Switching gears (on the column shift of course), the ignition had been pulled out when I bought the truck but this switch was under the seat. Does this look like the right ignition switch and if so is my best bet to take it to a locksmith to have it rekeyed? 

13_img_0439.jpg

13_img_0441.jpg

#26 Charlie69

Charlie69

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

No that is an after market switch.

Here is a link to correct switch.

http://www.ebay.com/...LZUH7Y1&vxp=mtr

#27 320 Newb

320 Newb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:01 AM

Thanks Charlie!

It looks like the original wire harness for the switch was removed to wire in the aftermarket switch. I see the correct switch has male tab connectors and the aftermarket switch has nuts pinning down the wires. 

How difficult will it be to rewire in the switch linked above with the male tab connectors?

#28 delariva

delariva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cars:1964 L320, 1996 Jeep XJ

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:23 PM

Thanks Charlie!

It looks like the original wire harness for the switch was removed to wire in the aftermarket switch. I see the correct switch has male tab connectors and the aftermarket switch has nuts pinning down the wires. 

How difficult will it be to rewire in the switch linked above with the male tab connectors?

If they just changed connectors/terminals on the old harness it should be as easy as clipping those off, stripping the wire, and attaching the female push on terminal for the factory ignition switch. If they removed the original harness, and changed the colors it might be a little more time consuming to trace the wires, but still not too bad.

here is a link to the 320 wiring diagram so you know what wires you're looking for.

http://www.datsunfor...ing_Diagram.pdf

#29 320 Newb

320 Newb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

^^^ Super helpful, thank you!

#30 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:15 PM

I just realized/noticed that the heater box in the photo in your post below is an early 1962 320 type heater box as the valve is on the left side, I didn't notice that before.

I would venture to say that your truck is indeed a 1962 Datsun 320, I don't know why I didn't notice the heater core valve location right away, but I didn't notice until re-reading the thread this evening.

The thing is that grills can be changed/transferred to other years fairly easily, as I have done it myself, so the grill is not a good indicator of the year of the truck, but that heater box only came on the early 1962 as far as I know.

Thanks Steve for the kind words! I'll definitely get the paperwork lined up before I dig in too deep.

Wayno, my truck's up on Phoenix at my parent's house and I'm down in Tucson so I won't get to check for the Vin number for a couple weeks. I was reading about 320 VIN numbers and think the 61-63 320s have a year digit right after the 320 in the VIN. So a '62 would have a VIN that starts with L-320-2... Does that sound right?

Also here's a pic of the heater. Does this give us any clues?

x0qrg5.jpg

#31 Conner

Conner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cars:2009 G37s 1968 2000 Roadster (project) 1964 L320 (project)

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:06 AM

Good catch, Wayno!

#32 Charlie69

Charlie69

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:30 AM

If they just changed connectors/terminals on the old harness it should be as easy as clipping those off, stripping the wire, and attaching the female push on terminal for the factory ignition switch. If they removed the original harness, and changed the colors it might be a little more time consuming to trace the wires, but still not too bad.

here is a link to the 320 wiring diagram so you know what wires you're looking for.

http://www.datsunfor...ing_Diagram.pdf

You can download that file for your personal use.  You may also take it on a thumb drive to your local copy center and have it blown up and printed poster size for easier tracing of wires.

#33 320 Newb

320 Newb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:44 PM

Blowing it up poster size sounds smart. The truck is at my parents house in Phoenix and I'm down in Tucson but I'll be heading up next week to dig in. My parents mistakenly thought the years of having their kids drag home POS cars to park in the front yard were over!

First order of business is to look for a sticker or stamp of the DMV generated VIN, and track down the real VIN and engine type. And throw a battery in it and see if I can get her to start! 

Thanks everyone for your help--the level  knowledge here is nuts! 

#34 Toybomber

Toybomber

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cars:78' 620kc

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:44 PM

Dude...... That truck is bomb...... Looks prime for a nice lime/yellow candy pant.... monster notch and 4 link the rear...and a Body drop to make it lay in the weeds..... And air on all 4 corners...post a pic of the rear end so we can see if the truck will take a roll pan..... And shave that goofy front bumper

#35 320 Newb

320 Newb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:48 PM

Battery question... Does this look like a positive ground and someone reversed the colors on the clamps or has it been converted to a negative ground? Notice the red clamp sends a wire off to the solenoid and the black clamp runs to the ground.

battery.jpg

Any thoughts

#36 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

Which battery terminal is larger? The one on the red cable or the one on the black? Positive battery posts are larger.

But this doesn't really mean squat. It could have been in the hands of someone who didn't know and ran it that way, or modified by someone who knew what they were doing.

Not all of the electronics can run on either positive or negative ground, but some can. The starter doesn't care and a simple mod to the generator allows it to be used neg ground, but the gauges are the kicker. If run on negative ground, they can smoke. I believe there is a simple mod to change the gauges over.

Try googling "reversing polarity on MGB". I did this many years ago and it was a pretty simple process on my '63 MGB and on my '65 Austin Healey. I say MGB, because they share a lot of the same engineering and layout.

#37 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,008 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:47 PM

Which coil wire goes to the distributor, positive or negative side?

#38 Toybomber

Toybomber

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cars:78' 620kc

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:59 PM

Convert it to 12v ........ Swap in a sr20 with a high capacity alt to power ur amplifiers for the booming system..... Rockfords would be a great choice.

#39 320 Newb

320 Newb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:07 PM

Which coil wire goes to the distributor, positive or negative side?

Wayno it definitely goes to the positive side. 

When we fired it up and drove it around with the battery wired in negative ground. Nothing smoked, everything seemed happy. Not sure if the generator is working though since it's a new battery.

Also, unrelated the engine number is J15 207593

***Edit*** 

I just did some digging and see the J15 is actually a 520 engine! What're the chances it was converted to negative ground when the engine swap was done? 

#40 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,008 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

That would normally make it a positive ground as the positive side of the coil is going to the distributor which is ground, but I have heard of folks having the coil wired backwards and it still ran.

I looked at the photos again and it seems to have the 320 generator, but the J15 engine is a negative ground engine, without being there I really cannot tell anyone how their truck is wired.

My NL320 is a negative ground vehicle, the fuel gauge works great, I do not know about the temp gauge as I have an aftermarket one and will likely not try to convert it back to the stock gauge.

The J15 would be an upgrade.

Wayno it definitely goes to the positive side. 

When we fired it up and drove it around with the battery wired in negative ground. Nothing smoked, everything seemed happy. Not sure if the generator is working though since it't a new battery.

Also, unrelated the engine number is J15 207593