Fuel pressure regulator questions

JonSmith720

I have a 1985 Nissan 720, I'm running an aftermarket electronic fuel pump that's at 5psi, I have a brand new weber 32/36 waiting to go on. My questions are: 1. Will I need a fuel pressure regulator with a return line? 2. If so where do I hook the fuel return line from the regulator? I've been looking around on here and it seems I'll be needing the regulator with fuel pressure 5psi and higher

• Like 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 720's have a feed line that meets up with the return line. Then there is a top to the threesome with a oriface to regulate fuel pressure. Hope this is right and helps

This is accurate and how I have my 720 with a Weber set up.

• Like 1

This is the 720 fuel "Y" pipe.

720%20Z24%20%20Engine%20Fuel%20Line%20wi

You need the return line when running a Weber on a 720 with a Z20, Z22, Z24 engine.

You also want to run a Facet fuel pump.  You will constantly be replacing over the counter pumps on the 720.  The 720 fuel pump runs continuously and does not build pressure and shut off as the over the counter pumps are designed to do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FACET-PUROLATOR-PRO-60FEP-60SV-FUEL-PUMP-/172208651828?hash=item28186f7e34:m:mMG-tFrnaCrgJuzHgdr4AIw&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

The picture above has a small restriction in the return or else all the gas would just run back to the tank. The restriction does nothing to regulate the fule pressure. It's only there to provide some resistance so that pressure can build. And that pressure is set by the pump used.

If a new weber can handle 5 PSI and is probably ok but be prepared for a regulator if it starts flooding. Keep that return line as it allows fresh cool gas to circulate past the carb and displace the gas over heated by very hot under hood temperatures.

• Like 1

Like I said above you need to run the fuel return line with the Weber and with the facet fuel pump or with the stock fuel pump.

Mike, the metered orifice creates back pressure in the fuel system alloying the float bowl to fill and remain full during operation.  Without the metered orifice in the return line the fuel would not fill and maintain the proper float level as most of the fuel would return to the tank rather than be pushed through the needle and seat of the carburetor.  Liquids will always follow the path of least resistance.  Simple hydraulics.

• Like 1

Using the proper pump and the stock fuel lines there is no need for a pressure regulators.  now if you are using a higher pressure pump you will need a pressure regulator.

Mike is correct the pump creates the pressure and the pressure is constant.  The lines do not change the pressure, the orifice creates restriction in the return line but the pressure is the same on both sides of the orifice. 

If you are running a pump that is not designed to run continuously the pump will overheat and fail in a short time.

• Like 1

I got the Weber in, deleted all emissions stuff, the pump does push too much pressure so I put a regulator, started the truck up and idles real nice and quiet. I need to get a hose to put the pcv port to the Weber. When I turn the truck off sometimes it will diesel really hard and keep turning the engine over for like 20-30 second, is this a timing issue or from a hole that needs plugged?

• Like 1

When ordering the Weber the idle cut solenoid and electric choke should have been added to it. No matter, Just do this...

Just before shutting the engine off, place in 4th or 5th, hold the brake on firmly, and lift the clutch enough to load the idling engine. Turn ignition off and engine will stall. When fully stopped, let clutch up. For an automatic just shut off in drive. Be sure to place in PARK after.

• Like 2

Oh okay, It did come with that piece, I just didn't know what it was haha. @Banzai I kinda did want the manual choke ha but electronic works. I got the pcv hose plumbed into the Weber. One of the original aircleaner bolts that holds it to the valve cover penetrated through the metal, it was over tightened haha and air was coming out, I just put the bolt back in with a few washers on it

• Like 1

There should be two wires for the original carb. One for the electric choke (usually Blue under the covering) and a Red for the idle cut solenoid. If not, then connect to any ignition switched source that is on, with the key.

• Like 1