521 pulls to the left when i brake

sergio521

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the front drums off again, and look at everything to make sure both sides are put together the same.  Check for grease on the shoes.  The round part that holds the shoe adjuster has to slide back and forth, but not loosely.  If it slides easier on one side, that could affect how the brakes work.

Make sure the same color of spring is on the top, and bottom both sides.

Go to this page, http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/620tech.htmscroll down a little more than halfway, to the link to down load a PDF version of the 521 chassis factory service manual.

• Like 1

In addition to above, I used to get a clunk on hard braking AND (this is important) on hard takeoffs that I associated with pulling one way or the other.  Tension rod bushings were shot on driver's side, and slop elsewhere in the front end bushings worsened the effect of out of balance brakes.

• Like 2

One cause can be a worn spot in your break lines too.

Easiest way to tell if this is the problem, is does the break pressure even out after a few breaks? If it does, this is likely the issue. Check and replace your worn lines. If there are no wear spots on your lines, it means one of the lines might have air in it, and you need to bleed your lines.

If the problem is constant, what everyone else said. Something is out of adjustment, or out of true.

I dealt with a worn break line for a little while. Tiny little wear spot, hard to see (it was and almost new line too). Replaced the bad line, and viola, the problem was fixed.

• Like 1

Once I had my drums turned and the shop didn't run the machine deep enough into the drum so the shoes were riding on a lip towards the face of the drum. I only figured it out after looking at the wear mark on the shoe. I took the drum back to the shop and he ran the machine into the drum deeper and fixed the problem.

• Like 1

Raise all four wheels separately and adjust the shoes against the drums. Adjust until you can feel a slight drag when spinning the wheel by hand. Step on brakes after each try to center the sliding adjuster. On rear wheels loosen off the emergency brake before adjusting drums... then re set the e brake properly.

While fronts are up try to pry the wheel forward and back while looking at the tension rod and it's bushing. The rod should just barely move. If the rubber doughnut bushings and rotten or gone this is probably your problem. If the bushing is worn out the wheel will be allowed to mobe to the rear when the brakes are applied. This will throw the steering and suspension geometry off causing a pull to one side..

Shoes that are wet from brake fluid or leaky axle seal will slip and provide almost no braking. The good side will pull to that side.

• Like 1

Drum brakes are self-energizing.  That means when you step on the brake pedal, the forward rotation of the drum pushes, or wedges the shoes tighter against the drum.  Because of that, the shoes have to be clean, and the drums have to clean, and all the springs have to be put in the same location, all moving parts have to move with about the same force, so everything is the same from side to side.  

Look over the passenger front for issues.

Linked metal line. Split rubber hose. Non-funtioning wheel cylinder.

If a problem is found, replace the same part on both sides.

I just did all 4 brakes on my 521 not long ago.

I replaced/rebuilt/serviced every movable part on all 4 wheels.

I'm actually super surprised how well the 521 stops with drum brakes.

If everything is working and adjusted properly you will have no issues.

I spent less than $200 to do everything.

• 2 weeks later...

So I looked over the truck everything looked good I did notice my upper control arm was mission a washer basically it was loose thought that was the problem but no then I saw my break line the rubber hoses were both cracked and rubber falling off I am going to change them but can this cause it to pull to one side ?

So I looked over the truck everything looked good I did notice my upper control arm was mission a washer basically it was loose thought that was the problem but no then I saw my break line the rubber hoses were both cracked and rubber falling off I am going to change them but can this cause it to pull to one side ?

Read first post right above yours.

Who am I kidding? You won't be back for another month.

Another 521 not running/rotting in the garage.