510 retractable rear 3 point seatbelt options?

HKS

Looking for a 3 point retractable rear seatbelt for my 70 510. Found a few online and seatbelt planet but according to alot of sites it requires the shoulder loop to sit parallel to the retractor or it wont lock in an emergency.  The mounting point to the shoulder loop sits farther back towards the c pillar and the retractor can sit directly behind the rear seat in the open space correct? or has someone mounted the retractor on the top where the provisional hole is? I'd prefer hiding the ugly retractor if possible. This is for my kid to fit in his front facing seat, hence the reason why I need to upgrade from a lap belt. Let me know if anyone had success with any rear belts and not just speculation or simple assumptions that one will work. thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed a kit by Retro Belt USA in my wagon. 

http://www.retrobeltusa.com/?utm_source=Magazine&utm_medium=Print%20Advertising&utm_campaign=Print%20Advertising

I bought mine through Zspecialties up here north of Seattle.

http://www.datsunstore.com/seat-belt-point-retractable-wstiff-female-receiver-p-1822.html

Mine was a retractable kit for the front but the exact same kit could be used in the rear.  There is an anchor point above the rear cargo window for the shoulder strap.  I did that in one of my first wagons years ago.

Andover seatbelts also make generic or adaptable kits you could use

http://www.andoauto.com/

--carter

• Like 2

http://www.retrobeltusa.com/?utm_source=Magazine&utm_medium=Print%20Advertising&utm_campaign=Print%20Advertising

http://www.datsunstore.com/seat-belt-point-retractable-wstiff-female-receiver-p-1822.html

Mine was a retractable kit for the front but the exact same kit could be used in the rear.  There is an anchor point above the rear cargo window for the shoulder strap.  I did that in one of my first wagons years ago.

--carter

Did the belts lock when installed in the rear?  was the retractor placed on the top or towards the bottom behind the rear seat?

Did the belts lock when installed in the rear?  was the retractor placed on the top or towards the bottom behind the rear seat?

When I installed the retractable kit, I just did the front seats.

When I installed 3 point belts in the rear of the wagon, I used stock 510 front belts.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that there would be different 3pt belt retractor units available......

• one that would mount down low, usually on the floor/inner rocker panel (utilizing the factory captive nut to mount) and PULL UP.....thus it has a VERTICAL centrifugal catch
  • one that would mount up on the side of the parcel shelf (utilizing the factory captive nut to mount) and PULL FORWARD.....thus it has a HORIZONTAL centrifugal catch.

I saw BOTH styles when I was in the British parts industry (MG Triumph etc), AND I have seen units that had a "twist knob" that rotated the centrifugal mechanism to either vertical or horizontal position, thus a more universal unit.  This was some years ago, and I would expect that any one of these online seatbelt suppliers would offer that kind of unit......??  The units I sold back then, were Kangol brand, which were made in the UK.  I have NOT done any research on what would or would not work in a 510.

Bottom line, a 510 FRONT SEAT would use the PULL UP style with a VERTICAL catch......mounts on floor (actually mounts on the inner sill/rocker panel).  A 510 REAR SEAT would potentially use a PULL FORWARD style with a HORIZONTAL catch.......that is if the retractor unit was mounted up on the parcel shelf.  I have seen many later model cars over the years with factory OEM retractor units stuffed down between the rear seat back & bottom, next to your hip, and I would expect that those would be a PULL UP style, but you would have to get the mounting angle of the retractor unit correct, so that the centrifugal catch works properly.  Problem there is that these later model cars had a little "cove" formed into the lower seat bottom, where the retractor unit fit.......the 510 lower seat bottom does not.  I don't think there is any room under the rear seat for a retractor unit, where the seat back & seat bottom come together.............

I just recently noticed a late model Subbie Forester with a seat belt retractor unit mounted up in the ceiling panel/headliner.  That might be a good small OEM unit to mount up on the 510 parcel shelf, BUT it would likely not have a clean "cap" or "cover" to put over the unit so it blends in/looks clean, cuz it's buried up above the hard headliner of that vehicle...............?????  Just a thought!

Hope some of this helps!

TJ

• Like 1

I would think that there would be different 3pt belt retractor units available......

• one that would mount down low, usually on the floor/inner rocker panel (utilizing the factory captive nut to mount) and PULL UP.....thus it has a VERTICAL centrifugal catch
  • one that would mount up on the side of the parcel shelf (utilizing the factory captive nut to mount) and PULL FORWARD.....thus it has a HORIZONTAL centrifugal catch.

I saw BOTH styles when I was in the British parts industry (MG Triumph etc), AND I have seen units that had a "twist knob" that rotated the centrifugal mechanism to either vertical or horizontal position, thus a more universal unit.  This was some years ago, and I would expect that any one of these online seatbelt suppliers would offer that kind of unit......??  The units I sold back then, were Kangol brand, which were made in the UK.  I have NOT done any research on what would or would not work in a 510.

Bottom line, a 510 FRONT SEAT would use the PULL UP style with a VERTICAL catch......mounts on floor (actually mounts on the inner sill/rocker panel).  A 510 REAR SEAT would potentially use a PULL FORWARD style with a HORIZONTAL catch.......that is if the retractor unit was mounted up on the parcel shelf.  I have seen many later model cars over the years with factory OEM retractor units stuffed down between the rear seat back & bottom, next to your hip, and I would expect that those would be a PULL UP style, but you would have to get the mounting angle of the retractor unit correct, so that the centrifugal catch works properly.  Problem there is that these later model cars had a little "cove" formed into the lower seat bottom, where the retractor unit fit.......the 510 lower seat bottom does not.  I don't think there is any room under the rear seat for a retractor unit, where the seat back & seat bottom come together.............

I just recently noticed a late model Subbie Forester with a seat belt retractor unit mounted up in the ceiling panel/headliner.  That might be a good small OEM unit to mount up on the 510 parcel shelf, BUT it would likely not have a clean "cap" or "cover" to put over the unit so it blends in/looks clean, cuz it's buried up above the hard headliner of that vehicle...............?????  Just a thought!

Hope some of this helps!

TJ

Thanks for the input TJ. Finding a good horizontal catch that looks clean as you mentioned makes it tricky.

--carter

These are great resources..

My main concern is having a seatbelt with a horizontal catch. Using a front seatbelt will not lock if an accident occurs due to it being a vertical catch. Did some research on classic mini coopers and they seem to have the same problem when sourcing a good 3 point seatbelt for the rear. I see a AE86 Corolla has something similar to our cars for the OEM rear belt but might be tricky retrofitting.

• 7 years later...

It would be nice if people posted a conclusion more often on threads like this. I was intrigued by this so, I checked out my other vehicles rear seat belts and all have vertical retractors then I took a look at my 510 because I found the seat belt mounting nut on the C pillar while removing the head liner and found that there isn't enough room. Then my brain goes to mounting the retractor beneath the parcel tray but that means cutting and weakening the structure of the car. I think I remember the ones on my 610 were bolted to the inner rocker and were more horizontal, unfortunately I couldn't find them when looking through my stuff but something like that might be worth looking up. Here's a picture of my inner C pillar for reference.

dukKlQIl.jpg

5 hours ago, LOOGLE said:

I know its only like 7 years later but did you ever find a solution? I'm the same boat. 

Are you asking about for the rear specifically?  I would call seatbeltplanet and talk to them about your issue.  I bought front belts from them  (didn't upgrade the rear) and I spoke to them a couple times to get answers.  I haven't really driven the car yet, but very happy with the front belt setup and fit in static condition.

I suppose the thing to do is to research European 510/1600 rear seatbelt situations??  I don't think the JDM had rear retractable, but I could be wrong.  Craig Ford of Tokyo-2u in Japan might be a good contact..........he is all over the forums etc.  It was many years ago, when I heard/read that some European countries had stricter seatbelt regulations, thus had rear shoulder belts & iirc they were retractable units.............??