My 1967 RL411 Station Wagon - Canby or Bust!

So about a month ago it was decided, by the one that decides these things, that we should take our grandkid to Canby this year. To do that it was understood that a back seat would be required.

So I sent a text out to Jeff and Frank asking if they knew any wagons for sale. They both said no and I continued looking at the same ads on CL. 

Then Jeff sends me a text the next day, he knows a guy that knows a guy that has a wagon for sale. This pic is what I get. 

IMG_1973.jpg

Says the guy wants $700 and gives me his number. I send a text and wait. 

Then a couple days later he texts me about a certain EFI wagon that might be for sale. I go to take a look and it is a nice car, I've seen it before and it is a good deal, but more than $700. I tell the owner about the other wagon and let him know I would be hopefully get to look at it. 

Then I went camping. 

When I got back I called the number for the first wagon and left a message. The owner texted me back and arrangements were made for me to check out the car. 

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

Fired right up.  Loud as hell but it ran great. I took it for a spin down the street and asked if I could come pick it up on June 4th. :D

IMG_2655.jpg

• Like 13
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So that Sat morning my son and I drove down to pick up the car. We were going to bring the Xterra, but it was needed for other duties. Figured the G had a tow hook, we could at least get the thing off the road and wait on AAA if there was any issues.

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

It fired right up just like the last time. Threw a quart of ATF F into it and I took it straight to the nearest Licensing place a block away and had it registered within 20 minutes. 

Then it drove all the way home to Marysville from Georgetown :devil:

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

• Like 12

Then it got a little cleaning and some tlc. Took a few more pics during that process. 

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

Needed an exhaust gasket at the minimum. 

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg

And some long term solutions at some point. 

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

Ok maybe a bit more than a gasket :lol:

IMG_2932.jpg

Let's sleep on that and try to get some tires...

Got these wheels in storage from our lifted celica - RIP - 

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

Much more appropriate. 

IMG_2936.jpg

• Like 3

Ok, back to the difficult job.

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

Welp, gotta pull it to weld the backside of that patch next to the block ....     :rofl:

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

Fuck it, I'm going to Canby!

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

:devil:

• Like 8

Some other things had to be addressed.

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

and a little simple green and a bronze wire brush

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

Shit need a collector gasket....I just went to Oreillys and said "Got any exhaust gasket material? Got a sheet of this.

IMG_2955.jpg

Template

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

Reassemble

IMG_2965.jpg

Go to install new tires and realize everything is SAE..... Should have realized it when the motor had all SAE threads. :rofl:

IMG_2969.jpg

Will look sweet once I go to metric studs.

• Like 4

Then we loaded up and headed to Canby.

IMG_2999.jpg

Made it there with only a tiny leak from the radiator that stopped once the level was stabilized. I shouldn't have topped it off. :lol:

Pic is from later in the day after wandering around to random conversations...a lot like here, and forgetting to take pics of all the Datsuns.

IMG_3007.jpg

Got in early Sunday

IMG_3027.jpg

Stopped off for some sales tax free Nordstrom Rack for my Lady and Froyo for the kiddo.

IMG_3062.jpg

Rest stop shot.

IMG_3067.jpg

and we made it home no problem. Only took a quart of ATF F, although could probably add another now. :lol:

• Like 12

oh hmm.. this is interesting! I like it!

Me too, and I know next to nothing about them. Learning a ton. :cool: 

definitely your color ... :lol: ... just needs titans and moar low

Haha close, but definitley moar lows are in store  :rofl: 

• Like 2

For the exhaust gasket between the cast iron collector and the tail pipe, I have used two 510 exhaust gaskets, an XACTO knife and mufler sealant to fabricate a pseudo RL411 gasket.  It works!  The pieces you cut away to fit the exhaust pipe holes just happen to juryrig the hole left when you align the cut 510 gaskets with the RL411 tailpipe.

• Like 3

By the way, when you get back, I can give you currently available Gates or Goodyear radiator hoses part numbers that look like the originals [one even has braid overlays like the originals] and with one cut you have both upper and lower radiator hoses. One even has a spring steel insert to prevenr hose collapse.

• Like 2

Not sure if it's keeping this drive train, but I will take that part number as I do plan to drive it until it can get into the garage que. :)

Oh and we are back home and back to real life again. :(

• Like 2

Weird how many 410/411 cars were there this year,, seems like there were 5-7 wagons,,  usually there is 1 or 2 ,,, maybe.

You think your other datsuns attract the nuts,,,,,,,,,,,,, you are going to find 411s bring out the true weirdos.

IMG_2718_zpshxextqdx.jpg

IMG_2748_zpslbxxsume.jpg

Was going to post your new seat but ,, "you know who" ,,, wouldn't front me a pic off his mowbeel device and what-not.

• Like 3

Those wheels didn't fit, did they?  The studs are a different thread/pitch.  ASE iirc...  Let me knwo what you do if you make them the standard 12x1.25.  Freaky510 said he wanted to swap the studs out to something else, but was afraid that the difference in the standard size to the new metric size would make it so the 4x114.3 pattern would slightly be off and the wheel wouldn't fit on right. 

• Like 1

Do those wheels take a really odd shaped lugnut or something? ,, the lugbolts are the same as a 71 chevelle ( 7/16 x 20 ) so not sure how they wouldn't be super easy to get at any strip mall parts store or strong enough .. Seen many 70s full sizes rolling for years with a missing bolt.

• Like 1

Wow! You weren't kidding when you said the exh mani was crap!!!

If you know someone with a lathe, you can easily cut down the shank length on some SAE lug nuts to work with the Z rims.  I've done it before....hhhmmm.....makes me wonder if I still have them.

• Like 3

I was wondering if this was the same one we saw at the place we picked up our 520 a whole back now. It is indeed. Looks like a nice little score. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Where did you pick up the 520 from? This one was bought from the original owner in Renton (i think) 2 years ago and I picked it up in Georgetown, would love to know more history on it. 

think you need to save blackdeaths 5104x4 wagon!!!!!!!!!!

Working on saving this one at the moment :)

Weird how many 410/411 cars were there this year,, seems like there were 5-7 wagons,,  usually there is 1 or 2 ,,, maybe.

You think your other datsuns attract the nuts,,,,,,,,,,,,, you are going to find 411s bring out the true weirdos.

Was going to post your new seat but ,, "you know who" ,,, wouldn't front me a pic off his mowbeel device and what-not.

Well, you own one so I got an idea of what I'm in for. :lol:

Fucking Ted!

Those wheels didn't fit, did they?  The studs are a different thread/pitch.  ASE iirc...  Let me knwo what you do if you make them the standard 12x1.25.  Freaky510 said he wanted to swap the studs out to something else, but was afraid that the difference in the standard size to the new metric size would make it so the 4x114.3 pattern would slightly be off and the wheel wouldn't fit on right. 

Lug patterns are center measured. 7/16 is nominal 11.1mm. Easy enough to open the holes to accommodate 12mm studs, I would think. I will investigate and report my findings. ;)

I was admiring the pics of that when you posted in the Canby thread. Cool car.

Them DMike came over for dinner last night on his way North. He told me that was yours. Even cooler.

Get after it. Very cool wagon.

Thanks man.

Hope you fed him well. :D

Do those wheels take a really odd shaped lugnut or something? ,, the lugbolts are the same as a 71 chevelle ( 7/16 x 20 ) so not sure how they wouldn't be super easy to get at any strip mall parts store or strong enough .. Seen many 70s full sizes rolling for years with a missing bolt.

Yeah they use a shank style lugnut that only comes in metric threads.

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Wow! You weren't kidding when you said the exh mani was crap!!!

If you know someone with a lathe, you can easily cut down the shank length on some SAE lug nuts to work with the Z rims.  I've done it before....hhhmmm.....makes me wonder if I still have them.

Ya, it was some holey rusted metal batman. 

I do know someone with a lathe, but he's in Oregon somewhere. :lol:

I'll take them, if you've still got them, let me know if you do and how much you want. :thumbup:

that Aussie guy had the cool light blue one with top painted white. Think had a MG motor in there

There was a nice light blue one at Canby with an A series in it. That light blue is real nice. 

I think this one will likely go KA24E, will keep it automatic though, I want to keep the column shift. The motor in the green truck is a truck KA with a 2wd pan and from initial eyeballing it looks like it should drop in. I'm on the lookout for one of those now. It's going to need some rear end work as well so I'm leaning towards an upgrade to a newer axle with LSD options. 

Parts like the manifold and the shift cable for the trans (both are required and pretty bad on this car) seem to be hard to find. A lot of the stuff on the motor is corroded pretty bad as well due to it being stored for years with the hood open. Hopefully the good parts I won't need will go to keeping other ones on the road. The rest of the car is pretty solid, but it's a bit bumped here and there from living a useful life up until it got stored so originality isn't really to big of a deal to me. 

• Like 1

Where did you pick up the 520 from? This one was bought from the original owner in Renton (i think) 2 years ago and I picked it up in Georgetown, would love to know more history on it. 

He was down in Renton Highlands.  He had a "garage sale" because AT&T was going to put up a couple cell towers on his property and they required the land around the towers be cleared out, and was selling a few Datsuns.  He had a general idea of what he had, but mislabeled a couple.  I took a little time off from work and made Brody go down because I figured he might have a gem or two.  He ended up having one or two 521s, two '66 520 (we picked up one, and Skip picked up another, plus a partial of a 3rd I think), and goon_box picked up this 411.  If I recall correctly, he might have actually paid $700 for it at the garage sale too.

This was the thread that he had started for it on here when he got it.  Part way down someone else posted a quote of a few more pics of what it looked like and it's "storage shed" that it lived in since sometime in the 80s I'm sure.  

It was a little while ago, but if I recall correctly, the guy bought it new, then his daughter or son drove it for a while, then it got parked out back on his property.  He had a grip of Dattos, and let his grandkids destroy another 411 or 410 a few weeks before the garage sale because he had no idea the attention or money they would fetch.  

Before goon_box came to pickup the 411, the owner, Art, had dragged it out and was trying to get it running for him.  I posted a video of it finally running while we were there figuring out how the hell to get our 520 home.

• Like 2

Yep, $700, he still had the original bill of sale he received. Real nice guy and he was stoked for it to go to someone that could make a go of it. 

I wish he would have held on to the seat covers though. Maddie loves the fuzzy one still left on the back seat back :lol:

The start up video was in that thread. :thumbup:

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/snowshredder686/media/MVI_3976_zps0722c039.mp4.html

This pic is awesome.

Here's the goon from the garage sale. We pulled it out of the shed over to his barn. He was gonna try to free up the rear brakes, which had frozen up.

IMG_0430_zpse6d21839.jpg

Thanks for that :D

• Like 3