Transmission removal

Oyeller720

I'm getting ready to drop the transmission to change the clutch and was wondering if it would be easier to try and monuver it to get it past the front differental. I removed the drive lines, exhaust , skid plate and etc.

But the tranny would drop straight down if i removed the front crossmember plus the front differental and disconnect the front axels. So my question is. How hard is it to remove all that or is it even worth it when i can monuver it around. I have replaced tranny b4 and kinda botch to do.

I have a 86 Nissan 720 kc 4x4 z24

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Much faster and easier to remove the engine to do the clutch. If you have access to an engine hoist, just do that. Even the factory service manual says to pull the engine, not the trans. I did one trans pull out the bottom, I will never do that again. I've replaced 3 or 4 of these clutches out the top though. If you leave the manifolds in place when you pull the engine, it goes pretty quick.

• Like 1

Mark torsion bars and remove. Trans will fall right out.

HA! good freaking luck. Not on a 4x4 it won't.

He isn't right, much as I like Gato.

In addition to the torsion bars,

You will need to remove your exhaust from the manifold and get it shoved over to the side.

You will need to remove the intermediate shaft from the trans and tcase.

You will need to remove the front driveshaft

Remove axles from front diff.

Remove front diff and crossmember. Now you can start dealing with the trans.

That isn't the suck part. Getting it all back together is. If that front diff crossmember has taken any kind of beating, it is tweaked. When you go to get it back in you may find that some of the bolts refuse to line up. It took me a couple of hours with a friend and a couple of big damn bars to get that stuff to realign.

Pull the engine. I have owned 4 of these 4x4 trucks. I really do know what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

Thank u guys for the advice and fast response im headed over to do this in am and only got this weekend . So thanks to the ratsun community much appreciated.

I'd love an update on this with pics if you got the time. I have to do mine soon as well. Good luck!