Five speed upgrade

I said let there be a manual And there was And it was good. And now I say let there be a five speed so it can be better And there will, but first I must ask the question will a five speed out of a 80-83 210 (not a b210 but a 210) bolt directly into the b? And is that a better tranny? And if not what will jump up in there?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely will bolt to the engine, length is the biggest factor so you don't have to modify the driveshaft length.

Keep in mind that a 5 speed doesn't make the car go faster it just reduces highway RPMs for a small gain in economy. They are not much of an advantage if you drive primarily in town and don't use 5th much.

The 210 had two 5 speeds. Both were 60 series. The '79 was a dogleg (NOT the same dogleg as the B-210) shift pattern while '80 and on was a regular H pattern.

I never really knew which 5 spd I had in my 320 (with an A series), but it was a dogleg. The coolest part about it was the spline count at the input and output, they were much bigger than the standard A series stuff.

This is the only picture I have of it. Can you identify this trans, Mike?

IMG_5475.jpg

I think you need to use a clutch set up that applies to the transmission.  If I recall correctly, the first time I did this I used an A12 clutch set up.  the inside diameter of the disc was smaller than the shaft.  Ruined a perfectly good pilot bushing trying to mate the trans and block together.