Coilover spring rates Front and Rear for autox?????

Lozer

Maybe you want to engineer a bit instead of just throwing parts and free advice at it.

The suspension is there to support the weight of the car. You want neither too much nor too little.

So measure the weight at each corner and the travel at your ride height. Pounds per inch at the wheel are now known.

Now figure in what more weight you will throw into each corner when you are actually driving it, hint lifting a wheel will double this number, and you have a very good base number. Autocross lifts one side at a time.

Probably you have something like 500# per corner and 5" of travel, so you need 200# springs or so.

Maybe a SBC conversion needs those Camero spring rates....Or jumping the dunes at Pismo and landing on one wheel.

I also find that I really want the front to lift before the back, so I like the front stiffer.

Dennis

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ended up installing a 4.44 Vlsd I scored off one of our Ratsun brothers. Ran 275 wheel rate springs (1100lbs stock location rear)  all the way around. Upped my caster to 8 with some futofab tc arms.  And came in 3rd in my class at the end of the day.

Hardest part was remembering im not in a 500hp built corvette but the car reminded me every time i stepped on the gas.

Engineering out the problem is great on paper but you don't drive by paper. 

I make real world adjustment on the fly when I use the car, I find it's quicker and you actually understand the ramifications of your adjustment.

Asking advice just shortens the learning curve time. (no need to reinvent the wheel) I'm happy to ask the other guys on here for their advice as most of them have been doing this for years and won't steer anyone wrong.  This is not Zilvia.