I need/want a gig in Spokane/CDA/Sandpoint area. Or Bend, Oregon

I currently make: 73k-ish and 'recently' relocated from the Denver area to the New England area.... and I am regretting the decision (somewhat).
I actually tried for the SpoCan/CoreDuh-Lane and or the Bend, OR. area for 3+years.
I'm in the creative industry [sector would be: Advertising and Marketing. My title: art director / developer,] but have a masters in tech management (snore).
Can anyone/someone give me some ideas or ways I could/can make contacts in that area? I've done a TON of research about the area BUT I would appreciate a locals advice?

I would gladly return all favors! Thank you!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bend is tricky I think. I'm not too terribly familiar with it in recent years, but it's a relatively small market when it comes to jobs I think. I think with your background and education, it's possible to land work in that pay grade. I'm just not so sure the markets you are looking in will have the volume of jobs to land a good one. 

That's probably why you are here looking for leads. The valley will have more of what you want.. the further north you go.. the more money. Portland.. Seattle.. etc. But if you are set on the markets you specified... it's gonna be tough as you've already noticed. 

Maybe try to land a marketing job at one of the breweries? Not sure what that would pay... but they do a lot of marketing.

• Like 1

I currently make: 73k-ish and 'recently' relocated from the Denver area to the New England area.... and I am regretting the decision (somewhat).

I actually tried for the SpoCan/CoreDuh-Lane and or the Bend, OR. area for 3+years.

I'm in the creative industry [sector would be: Advertising and Marketing. My title: art director / developer,] but have a masters in tech management (snore).

Can anyone/someone give me some ideas or ways I could/can make contacts in that area? I've done a TON of research about the area BUT I would appreciate a locals advice?

I would gladly return all favors! Thank you!

Well, I live in Eugene but I pass through Bend somewhat often and know a few people in town so take this as an outsiders perspective. Bend doesn't have as much of a tech/art scene as the valley, seems like they're more in the business of tourism, milking yuppies, and most of all being so goddamn beautiful and close to mt bachelor/sisters wilderness/smith rock.

There's a guy on the forums somewhere that brews for a brewery over there. Maybe he'll chime in. 510BendOR

Damn...how the fuck did I stumble into Craigslist while surfing ratsun.net...

No, no CL here. Merely trying all possible ideas, outlets & avenues. I do A LOT of homework when it comes to career searching. Just been part of the Datsun community for along time and usually great minds think alike. There is some commonality here, and New England isn't down the street from the area's of interest, so—looking for some deep 'local'-ish knowledge. And again... I'm always willing to volunteer or return work &/or favors. CL is just filled with 40k 510's and people wanting a 5k car for $1700, or 31k a year job offers.

Bend is tricky I think. I'm not too terribly familiar with it in recent years, but it's a relatively small market when it comes to jobs I think. I think with your background and education, it's possible to land work in that pay grade. I'm just not so sure the markets you are looking in will have the volume of jobs to land a good one.

That's probably why you are here looking for leads. The valley will have more of what you want.. the further north you go.. the more money. Portland.. Seattle.. etc. But if you are set on the markets you specified... it's gonna be tough as you've already noticed.

Maybe try to land a marketing job at one of the breweries? Not sure what that would pay... but they do a lot of marketing.

Thanks for the input! Yes, I've seen a few gigs and openings as of late.

Well, I live in Eugene but I pass through Bend somewhat often and know a few people in town so take this as an outsiders perspective. Bend doesn't have as much of a tech/art scene as the valley, seems like they're more in the business of tourism, milking yuppies, and most of all being so goddamn beautiful and close to mt bachelor/sisters wilderness/smith rock.

There's a guy on the forums somewhere that brews for a brewery over there. Maybe he'll chime in. 510BendOR

Milking yuppies! hahhah. aka as CA. drop-outs I'm assuming?

• Like 2

No, no CL here. Merely trying all possible ideas, outlets & avenues. I do A LOT of homework when it comes to career searching. Just been part of the Datsun community for along time and usually great minds think alike. There is some commonality here, and New England isn't down the street from the area's of interest, so—looking for some deep 'local'-ish knowledge. And again... I'm always willing to volunteer or return work &/or favors. CL is just filled with 40k 510's and people wanting a 5k car for $1700, or 31k a year job offers.

Thanks for the input! Yes, I've seen a few gigs and openings as of late.

Milking yuppies! hahhah. aka as CA. drop-outs I'm assuming?

I don't really know what I meant by that, guess yuppie is the wrong word for Bend but eh whatever. There are parts of Bend (most of it really) where people are chill and everythings gravy but I've been to other parts of town and felt like a total outsider because I wasn't classy enough for the locals (also I wasn't decked out in patagonia so I couldnt fake it :rofl: ). I've got no problem with people being classy or having nice things, but having nice things doesn't make you classy. I guess that shits everywhere these days though.

I don't know about 73k in cda, but possibly Spokane. I have an advertising degree and I hate advertising for a variety of reasons. And I work at Napa. :)  I think you'd have better luck in Seattle.

• Like 1

I don't know about 73k in cda, but possibly Spokane. I have an advertising degree and I hate advertising for a variety of reasons. And I work at Napa. :) I think you'd have better luck in Seattle.

seatac, Renton, redmond, Bellevue where all the bug companies are at in the puget sound area. That's including Boeing main office.

Thanks for the INPUT for: Seattle metro areas and the Portland metro areas.. (forgot to mention, I lived in Seattle [ballard] early—mid 90's).... and there's no way I (specifically my bimbo wife) could hack the gray, dreariness of those area's.

I know it gets gray in Bend/Spokaner/CDA, but not like the metros (at least from what I remember).

Check the average days of sunlight for Seattle vs. Spokane/CDA.  It's like 2% difference.  Seriously.

Meow see, this is the type of whoooopin' kick ass info that CL can't provide! Thank you! Totally good to know. Meow, I'll be doing some more investigating in weather-grayness-sun etc. Actually had an recruiter from Spokane contact me the other day, we'll see. I understand there's no utopia... But, the east-coast+Datsun's is like Minnesota+skinny chicks, meaning there is bleak talent. Thanks for the posts! Definitely getting some quality smut from you guys.

I don't really know what I meant by that, guess yuppie is the wrong word for Bend but eh whatever. There are parts of Bend (most of it really) where people are chill and everythings gravy but I've been to other parts of town and felt like a total outsider because I wasn't classy enough for the locals (also I wasn't decked out in patagonia so I couldnt fake it :rofl: ). I've got no problem with people being classy or having nice things, but having nice things doesn't make you classy. I guess that shits everywhere these days though.

Levi the people treating you like the outsider are the ones not from the Oregon state at all. Bend is to become the planned community for retiring big money from other states ;)

Its usually the only way you can differentiate the natives from the Big Money Migrants.. Oregon natives are friendly. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm almost all chips in,,, I'm at a point where I'm willing to throw all what I know here in MA. out in the dumpster. Spokane has my honed my attention—again and again.

I have some 620 parts I can throw up for grabs who can/could steer me getting a gig there. Basically, I'm willing to give some parts out for some help.

• 1 month later...