70' 510 Won't Start - L20 w/ twin Weber 40 DCOE carbs.

sBay510

I would definitely take the top cover off and check all the circuits under there before removing them all together. Although, removing them is not very difficult at all. Here is the 1st part of 2 videos that will show you the carbs being rebuilt. May offer good guides: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxO1TPWhlE

So funny..I've actually watched both part 1 and 2 soooo many times the past 2 weeks. Thanks for the link anyways. Hopefully it will help some other out, or if anyone is interested in Weber sidedraft carbs. 

It looks like i will just have to at least get the cover off, look around, clean different parts with carb cleaner...on both carbs. I really hope this works out.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All carbs benefit from a richer mixture to get started when engine is cold. SU's don't even have an accelerator pump you could use to force a rich condition by repeatedly pumping the gas. The choke on the SUs lifts the jet allowing more gas in. I know these are not SUs but maybe the same thing.

This is why I say unlikely both carbs would have a sunken float or common problem.

It is strange that both carbs are having the issues. I presume both happen to be clogged up somehwere?

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Like he said   /\

Hey guys, apologies for the delay on updates. I'm traveling for work right now and I'll be posting a lengthier update soon but I wasn't able to get it started. Put gas directly into carb bowls to bypass any fuel delivery issues and couldn't get the engine running. Sputtered for a little but wouldn't fully start. Sucks but may have to take into a shop unfortunately due to a time crunch. I'll post details in a day or two

how do you put gas directly in carb bowls?

they going to ream$$$$ you on this. thats if they know what they are even doing.

I took the carb cover off and filled the fuel bowl with gas directly. Yes, i really do not want to take it to a shop but I am running out of time where the car is currently stored. I need to get the car out of the space within a week. I would really like to fix it myself. I live in Los Angeles and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Mike’s Z Shop in Whittier, or any other reputable shops in LA?

I think the problem is that no fuel is squirting out into the barrels. Something must clogged…but on both carbs? I would probably have to take the carbs off and do a full clean through. After I took the carb cover off, I did notice that the accelerator pump circuit rod was stuck on one of the carbs. I fixed that.

I took a video and some pics of the car’s setup for you guys to have a reference. Are the accelerator pump circuit rods supposed to move up and down that slowly?

I don’t see any fuel squirting out into the chambers.

Video:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6yb58hHiQOTTm10RFRpQlFld1E

(Having issues with the pics)

Wow! That is a lot of varnish! Best bet is to just have the carbs gone through. 

Yea, the carbs will probably have to get a good cleaning. Varnish? Do you mean on the 

Good luck.

:crying: Thanks

well dont get the car towed and in the junk yard.

Carb clean the jets I guess would be a try

never let a car sit too long!!!!!!!!!

No plans for a junkyard that is for sure. I need to tow to a shop, or a different storage location. 

Yes, never let the car sit too long without starting it!

I any case, what are your guys' opinions?? Debris stuck somewhere in the carbs? There is supposed to be fuel squirting into the barrels correct?

Maybe aim looking at this wrong but the rear carb the four slotted thing I assume are the jets. Are they to be screwed in . Mine alwasy back out and have issues( I can still start). Unless you back them off to clean them out.

How long you had this sitting again?

I really dont know much about webers DCOES

hate for you to tow it soem assholes ruin cars buy getting them towed.

You got a nice setup