V8 sbc in a 510 .... Haters go away

logicali

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing going to be easy about this swap and will cost tons of money.   It boils down to what do you want this car to do or behave, 1/4 mile, trailer queen, autoX, track car, which one and then how much money you got.  Practically anything can be fabricated, if you have the skills, if you don't then you will have to rely on a real good fabricator (money).  Here is a suggestion, call around in your area and show them what you want and see how much it will cost. 

Nothing going to be easy about this swap and will cost tons of money. 

Not if you start with a Z. If you're handy with a wrench, it could be done in a few weeks with (relatively) minimal cash outlay. 

Side note, done correctly putting a V8 in a Z could actually make it handle better, not worse.

Buy this and read it:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/jtr-datz

Cheap investment that will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about swapping a V8 into a Z. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

A SBC is a little easier to install but not by much, I've done the install on a 510 wagon but this is not a good task for the beginner. As previously stated in a regular dime your combo needs extensive fabrication, listen to these folks. You will probably never hear me say that again since I make my living putting small blocks in most anything with wheels. Unfortunately the dime just isn't a good candidate.bit you can't find someone to trade a z for your dime, I have a 75 280 body in good shape I will trade for your dime, I will even throw in the jags that run adaptors for the motor mounts and the tranny mount adaptor

A SBC is a little easier to install but not by much, I've done the install on a 510 wagon but this is not a good task for the beginner. As previously stated in a regular dime your combo needs extensive fabrication, listen to these folks. You will probably never hear me say that again since I make my living putting small blocks in most anything with wheels. Unfortunately the dime just isn't a good candidate.bit you can't find someone to trade a z for your dime, I have a 75 280 body in good shape I will trade for your dime, I will even throw in the jags that run adaptors for the motor mounts and the tranny mount adaptor

TOO BAD YOUR IN GEORGIA

Where are you Logicali? I have a truck and trailer and I'm working on going to Bakersfield in July if the docs clear me to drive by then, has a mild stroke yesterday so I have to be a good boy and play nice for a couple of weeks. Easier said than done but what ya gonna do?

OH MAN STAY SAFE,,, im in the sfv ca ... north hollywood area ... send me some pics