720 drivetrain into 510

sleeperlee

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Define fairly easy.

The 720 has two different transmission lengths. If 26" long then it's the same length as the stock 510. Otherwise you have a 31.5" long one and will need a modified driveshaft. (not much info... the length is for the sedan, the goon is different) Cut to about 37 3/8" long. In either case the rear cross member will need looking at for fit.

The Z ??? you don't have much info on the year or engine. Has the carb over on the right side and it's operated by cable. The 510 is on the left and uses linkage so you're going to need something done there.

The Z series trucks have a 'rear sump' that won't fit where the 510 needs a front sump pan.

You will need a larger rad for a larger engine.

The Z?? exhaust is on the same side but you will have to mate it to the 510 system

The 510 uses an external regulator. With a few mods you can keep your internally regulated alternator.

Try the Z engine brackets, the 510 are for an L series engine and won't work for you. The rubber isolator mounts?? don't know the 510s' may work or maybe the Z ones.

510 speedometer will fit the 720 transmission pinion sleeve

See my thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/66801-a-goon-called-half-pint-the-brutal-beginning-71-510-wagon/p?=1269361

It covers everything I have done to fit a z22 from an 82 720 in to my 71 510 wagon. Most of the info is on the last 3 pages or so, but info is scattered throughout.

But the basics -

510 rubber engine mounts.

L series engine block brackets, reversed side to side.

Remove entire hood prop and bracket.

Install/build cable throttle pedal and throttle cable.

Custom oil pan (or flip crossmember for front sump and find an early 80s car Z series oil pan)

Trans crossmember drop brackets (if long trans).

Modified transmission mount (or possibly try using a 510 mount).

Cut body for new shifter location (if using long trans).

All of this is covered in fair detail in my build thread.

It's certainly do-able. Some things like the throttle cable and exhaust are custom and up to you how you do it.

What engine??? A Z24 is a torque monster and only fitted to heavy trucks and a Van.

Thanks, 720's seem to still be out there with good running motors & 5 speeds ,so l

Figured it might be a pretty simple donor vehicle for fairly inexpensive 510 project, if the deal I'm working on comes through, your input is very helpful.Thanks. To bo continued,hopefully.