My first Datsun! '76 620 Longbed

colerii

Hello Ratsun folk!

I'm up in Oregon picking up my first Datsun! When I bought it earlier this month, it was in its last legs of being restored. So far the restorations include: 

⁃4-speed, transmission recently rebuilt, shifts like a dream

⁃New clutch

⁃Weber carburetor

⁃Motor runs strong; has a great purr

⁃All the electrical has been redone (I bought it from a professional HVAC tech); there’s all sorts of fancy lights and gauges everywhere

⁃Drum brakes recently replaced

⁃Lots of other new gear under the hood

New Gauges:

-Water temp

⁃Oil pressure

⁃Tachometer

⁃Voltmeter for alternator/battery

All the original gauges function except the original temperature gauge; and the original gas gauge seems a bit finicky.

I'm driving it down to Norther California tomorrow, where it will sit in a safe place until I figure out how to deal with SMOG, since it was never California CARB (it has the very clear “non catalytic converter” badge on the driver side). Besides getting CARB legit, I'm also looking to swap the front drum brakes for disc brakes and install a larger, non-clown-car steering wheel. ;] The forums have provided lots of insight as to how to (or how to not) get it done! Thanks for that.

I'm excited to get to know this beauty better, and continue working on her with my boyfriend. We’re both new to classics with carburetors and all this fun/old/proven classic technology.

If you have any words of advice or general tips, I’d love to hear them.

Here's a link to some photos, for the gander: 

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP3TkhjE_7W8uAXmqKJqQV87-zIWCTPtlpxbipkr0Bpo0AGFB9lBHXI2SZM_3gHWQ?key=bENGYUFsaTY2Qmd2dmdpN1E4OFhZc2JEUjV6T3d3

Cheers!

Nikki

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy smokes! Where's the flux capacitor located?

Ha! I thought the same thing when I looked at all the wiring beneath the dash. Setting the emergency break is like reaching through a wall of post-apocalyptic vines.  :rofl:

• Like 2

Good looking Truck! What are your plans for her?

Nothing super fancy. Maybe once I'm done getting CARB legit and swapping the drum brakes, I'll begin fixing her up little by little. Find her some door panels, put on a new coat of paint. Mostly, I just want her to stay happy and in good working condition. My beau and I are building a tiny home, so I wanted to buy a country-appropriate vehicle I could load up with gardening gear and lumber for building out a potting shed and small weaving studio. Yeah, mostly just wanna keep her happy and runnin'.

• Like 1

Welcome to Ratsun!  I love that color.  Don't worry about the wire mess, eventually you will get it cleaned up.  But before you start taking things apart take pictures and/or make a diagram.  Other than that I love the idea that you and your beau is making a house, too!.