Getting Back in Action

hellcatfa

The truck has been parked a while. Anyway. it is running real rough like when i left it. seems like a random miss. before I parked it it got new plugs wires, rotor, cap, and a coil.

Today I decided to tear it apart. Took the carb off then pulled the plugs and low and behold number 4 plugs were hammered Literally. Intake and exhaust side. Ground electrode mushed flat.

What the heck could be in there? I dont remember dropping anything down the intake.

Im going to run a compression test before I pull the head. Hope the piston is all good.

Any ideas as to what I may find in there? Anyone seen this before? Those mushed plugs really bother me.

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well when turned over by hand i can hear the #4 leaking somewhere. Sounds like into the oil galley.

Lot of fresh carbon buildup inside the valve cover.

How Much play should be on the timing chain? I can move it 1/2- 3/4 inches on the right side. Does that sound loose?

Im thinking of replacing the chain when I do this. I believe its the original.

• Like 1

There's no connection between the #4 and any oil gallery. It's between #2 and #3 pistons.

If the ring broke the piston would also have to break to let it loose or just a chunk of piston came off. Most likely FOD (foreign object damage) from something getting in. Take both plugs out and fire up the engine, it might get pushed out the plug hole. Then new plugs. Possibly it's already passed out the open exhaust valve.

There is always some slack on the right side chain and why it's called the slack side. I wouldn't worry about this now.

• Like 2

Well before I went any further in tearing it down I bolted the carb back on and ran it with the # 4 plugs out.

Sounded like a kamikaze. Regapped tthe flattened plugs and screwed em in. Started it up and ran like never before.

Hope the foreign object dislodged itself.

Havent road tested yet but idles and revs better then ever. Have to fix the brakes before I can hit the road.

Thanks for the help datszen mike. :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So the first thing I would check is the brake booster, something is not right, it should not be able to pull brake fluid out of the back of the master.

I believe there is a seal in the booster that has a hole in it, the reason I say this is because I have run a 521 single master brake cylinder on a booster before and had to drill a hole in the master between the booster and the master as a vent as the 521 master was never meant to be on a booster, the booster did not have a vacuum loss issue with that vent hole in the master, so there is a seal, and I believe yours has a leak now, and it is a vacuum leak.

I wonder if something from booster got thru the vacuum port and into number 4 cylinder, and that is caused the issue.

Well the truck has been running good. However I am in need of a master cylinder. Mine is shot.

Brake fluid is being sucked into the engine.

Anyone know where to get a cheap rebuild kit?

• Like 1