510 Wagon

Hi guys, I'm new here.

I have a 68 - 510 Wagon, and I have a few things I would like to do to it, just to be exactly how I want it.

So, as far as body condition goes, a few rust spots, nothing major at all, and most rust spots have been taken care of. The clear coat is flaking, and the paint is not very good.

Rims are stock with wheel covers, but I don't like them.

Interior is is great condition.

Engine is good, carburetor needs cleaned, and maybe new fuel filter.

So, this is what I would like to do to it.

I want it to be a plum purple. Here's the dilemma, I don't know if I should get it painted properly, or I am thinking of a light grit bed-liner, in purple. Thoughts?

Rims; I am not sure where is the best place to buy them, and what rims y'all would recommend.

Fender flares; if I get bolt-on fender flares, is there going to be any cutting the fenders? Or do they just bolt on?

What will I need to lower the ride height a bit?

Those four things are my main concern.

Thanks for any help. :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to fit flairs on a 4 door. Type what flairs fit a 510? into the search and read up on them. It's well covered

Type: lowering the 510 wagon into the search function and there are at least 5 posts on the wagon suspension many more about lowering the front struts. It's well covered

Reconsider doing some research and find out the rim offset for your favorite rims. Never never never buy the rims and then make the car fit them. Do your homework and know what will work first before you get a hard on for some rim and you have to cut the car up. Here's just one post about rims on a 510... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20627-widest-rim-on-a-datsun-510-4-door/page-2 .Better to do your own search and then ask questions about them.

Our search function is on every page on the upper right  of every page below the 510 logo.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54932-photobucket-ratsun/  .Members are going to ask for pictures of your dime any way and in the future, pictures help explain any problems you may have cleaning the carb or other things

Paint a 510 in bed liner???? wtf?

• Like 1

Hard to fit flairs on a 4 door. Type what flairs fit a 510? into the search and read up on them. It's well covered

flair
fler/
noun
noun: flair
  1. 1.
    a special or instinctive aptitude or ability for doing something well.
    "she had a flair for languages"
    synonyms: aptitude, talent, gift, instinct, (natural) ability, facility, skill, bent, feel, knack
    "a flair for publicity"
  2. 2.
    stylishness and originality.
    "she dressed with flair"
    synonyms: style, stylishness, panache, dash, elan, poise, elegance; More

:rofl:

OP dont flare it if its a original shell(in decent shape),it has made it this long without them(flares)

Most who put flares on,want wider more contact tires for track use.

Rim opinions are just like paint opinions. Sure there are some common ideas out there that always look good, but it's mostly your own opinion. What do you like? Many guys on here love the stock steelies with original caps look. You already stated you dont like that so.... you like modern, like te37s? Or vintage jdm, like starsharks? Or meshies, like vintage volk mesh or enkie apaches? Or deep dish custom steelies? Or maybe vintage alloys from another datsun?

Read 510Ts thread. He has modern rims and a four door with flares. His is also lowered.

Then read DOTY, sky blue's thread. 4 door, lowered, on Z car snowflake alloys.

Then go ahead and read little red wagon, by just Joel.

After that, come ask some more pointed questions. We love to help, but we dont spoon feed.

And don't spray the car with bed liner. Maybe think about plastidip.

My opinion on bed liner is that it's good when used as a bed liner. I'm not sure what benefit you think you'll gain by using it?? If you are thinking it's a shortcut to prepping the car properly you are incorrect.....bed liner requires a properly well prepared surface as any paint does if you want it to stick. The trouble is if it is allowed to crack and or peel it will allow moisture to get underneath creating a considerably worse situation for rust to occur.

You'll ruin it.

There are many inexpensive ways to paint a car if it doesn't have to be perfect. Let's be honest, if you are thinking of bed liner you are in this category. On top of my list would be borrowing a compressor, using a HF spray gun, and blowing some purple enamel on a well prepped surface. That would likely be even cheaper than bed liner and far nicer in my opinion.

For flairs, not my thing but certainly well covered on this site. You could bolt them on but if they are actually needed cutting of sheet metal is too.

510T has a fun looking flaired dime. Joel's is immaculate and equally fun looking. Read up, get inspired/informed, then go.

Welcome, and man a 68 wagon is a very rare car. Do your homework on a 68. It looks alot like a 69-73, but there are many differences. If it is solid and complete, really stop and think about cutting it for flares.

We need pics right away!

• Like 1