521 Radiator install

recently on the last hot day my 521 was really getting hot. The old Modine  Rad was leaky a tiny bit so I said F**K It Im buying one of those Chinese rads.

Amazon had the OPL brand listed was sent to my house in like 3 days and 133$ delivered. Looks the same as the Champion brand which is the same as Eagle( I think)

So I removed the old rad and mounted the new one. I see I would need spacers as everybody says they need. I had bought 2 set of plastic washers from the Hardware store. 1/4and next size is maybe 3/8 or 1/2.spacers

The bigger spacerr would have been better but I think my rad bolts are M8x1.00. as I didn't have extra. I had longer M8x1.25  big didn't want to X thread.

So I went with the 1/4 size. Installe the lower ones first but Knowing what I know know I would super glue the spacer on first nex time around. last spacer was hard to keep falling down as I had the orginal length bolts.  That's why superglue next time(really use the bigger spacers if off again with longer size bolts)

On 521 the ignition wires ect run right under the front Rad uptop and these new Rads the flang is not offset which mounts the rad right up to the front thus crushing the wires. That's why the Spacers are needed. Even more so on a 521 than a 510(wires run under the rad). I loosen the wire clips and routed the electrical wires above the return Radiator hose. I will get some fiberglass tape to wrap to keep the tape from getting hot./ I was going to route under but thought maybe to close to the fan.

Don't know why the flange can be offset 1/2 inch at the factory and people complain to the company..The  rad fins have more than enough clearance for the stock 510 fan from hitting. Don't know about the later l20b with fan clutch)

There might be a slight leak but maybe just from overfilling cause I see antifreeze at the bottom by the fins but. No major leaks under the truck at work. it cools verywell and for 130$ Well its all you can seem to get from now on.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

recently on the last hot day my 521 was really getting hot. The old Modine  Rad was leaky a tiny bit so I said F**K It Im buying one of those Chinese rads.

Amazon had the OPL brand listed was sent to my house in like 3 days and 133$ delivered. Looks the same as the Champion brand which is the same as Eagle( I think)

So I removed the old rad and mounted the new one. I see I would need spacers as everybody says they need. I had bought 2 set of plastic washers from the Hardware store. 1/4and next size is maybe 3/8 or 1/2.spacers

The bigger spacerr would have been better but I think my rad bolts are M8x1.00. as I didn't have extra. I had longer M8x1.25  big didn't want to X thread.

So I went with the 1/4 size. Installe the lower ones first but Knowing what I know know I would super glue the spacer on first nex time around. last spacer was hard to keep falling down as I had the orginal length bolts.  That's why superglue next time(really use the bigger spacers if off again with longer size bolts)

On 521 the ignition wires ect run right under the front Rad uptop and these new Rads the flang is not offset which mounts the rad right up to the front thus crushing the wires. That's why the Spacers are needed. Even more so on a 521 than a 510(wires run under the rad). I loosen the wire clips and routed the electrical wires above the return Radiator hose. I will get some fiberglass tape to wrap to keep the tape from getting hot./ I was going to route under but thought maybe to close to the fan.

Don't know why the flange can be offset 1/2 inch at the factory and people complain to the company..The  rad fins have more than enough clearance for the stock 510 fan from hitting. Don't know about the later l20b with fan clutch)

There might be a slight leak but maybe just from overfilling cause I see antifreeze at the bottom by the fins but. No major leaks under the truck at work. it cools verywell and for 130$ Well its all you can seem to get from now on.

ii bought three champions and two of them leaked at the bottom 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

oK this rad works great. In traffic temps climbs up to the normal temp line but by then on moving so I think Ill never pop a headgasket with a 3 core. Winter might be cold but I might put a 195 stat in there and see if that helps

OPL brand on Amazon 133$ sent

However went to install my other rad in the 510 and it will need even bigger spacers maybe a 1/2 inch and the lower inlet will be close to the alternator. or cut the corners then flatten the ring around the core support opening otherwise wont be flush

So I installed my Rods Discount Datsun 3 core which was a perfect fit but not the cool looking aluminum

• 1 year later...

Bumping this...cause I noticed mine was dripping on the driver side above the petcock.  I topped it off yesterday so maybe its just from over filling it. Anyways in my search I came across this one Amazon and saw your review about it leaking.   

Anyways...please confirm: https://www.amazon.com/HPR407-Aluminum-Radiator-Datsun-Transmission/dp/B00EOYQAZ2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1505588103&sr=8-4-fkmr0&keywords=opi+datsun+521+radiator 

• 2 weeks later...