Just another guy with turn signal problems.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Long story short. My hazards work all the way round.

And my turn signals work for the most part. Right side both front and back work. But on the left only the back light works.

Any ideas?

Yes, yes, I do.

If the 4 way flashers work then it isn't the bulb or almost all of the wiring.

On the '77 truck the Green/Red wire on the turn signal switch has come unsoldered.... possibly the plug to the turn signals is making poor contact. Remove the  plastic clam shell around the steering column. Now you can get at the turn signal switch plug. Unplug it several times to make better contact.

I doubt this is the problem but it's an easy check.

I believe the problem is in the solder joint on the switch itself. To get at it properly the steering wheel must come off. Remove the 19mm? nut and save the star washer. Center the wheel so it goes back on properly. I have never used a puller to get the wheel off. Using the flats of your hands strike the wheel towards you from the dash suddenly TURN HEAD TO THE SIDE OR YOU'LL LOOSE A TOOTH. The wheel just pops off the spline. Beneath is the turn signal switch and all the wires.

The problem wire should be Green/Red stripe. A few seconds with a soldering iron should get you going.

Change bulb? Clean contacts in socket? Clean and check grounds?

Bulb is good (uses same filament for hazards and turn signal.)

Clean socket. I'll try that some more when I get home. Same with the ground.

Right now I'm thinking it might be further upstream the wiring harness.

Yes, yes, I do.

If the 4 way flashers work then it isn't the bulb or almost all of the wiring.

On the '77 truck the Green/Red wire on the turn signal switch has come unsoldered.... possibly the plug to the turn signals is making poor contact. Remove the plastic clam shell around the steering column. Now you can get at the turn signal switch plug. Unplug it several times to make better contact.

I doubt this is the problem but it's an easy check.

I believe the problem is in the solder joint on the switch itself. To get at it properly the steering wheel must come off. Remove the 19mm? nut and save the star washer. Center the wheel so it goes back on properly. I have never used a puller to get the wheel off. Using the flats of your hands strike the wheel towards you from the dash suddenly TURN HEAD TO THE SIDE OR YOU'LL LOOSE A TOOTH. The wheel just pops off the spline. Beneath is the turn signal switch and all the wires.

The problem wire should be Green/Red stripe. A few seconds with a soldering iron should get you going.

THANK YOU! I'll check this out when I get home. I've already got the steering wheel all torn apart so it should be quick. I ended up making a puller out of a chunk of 2x4 and some nuts and bolts, cause I feared the loss of teeth. I'll post a pic later.

THANK YOU! I'll check this out when I get home. I've already got the steering wheel all torn apart so it should be quick. I ended up making a puller out of a chunk of 2x4 and some nuts and bolts, cause I feared the loss of teeth. I'll post a pic later.

Well mike your first suggestion worked. I owe you a beer or some such. Thank you!