Summit guages

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an adapter from a place that makes hydraulic hoses, take your sending unit in for the block size, metric thread on it and get adapter to American thread for the gauges oil line. You would have the same problem with an electric gauge need the same adapter to go with the sending unit that goes with the electric gauge

• Like 1

The block thread is 1/8 BSPT.

This is a carry over from when Nissan and Austin Motor Company of Great Britain aligned to make Austin cars in Japan. This gave Nissan access to the Austin engine that they 'copied' (and as always the Japanese made improvements) but kept the British Pipe Threads. In fact they might still be using them, they were up into the 2000's.

oilsenderadaptor-1.jpg 

• Like 1

Early 50's Nissan got a license to assemble an Austin motor car from domestic and imported parts. By the mid 50s they were making it from all domestic sourced parts and building their own cars and engines.

YOu can buy from Autometer and also buy there LIne also as most gauges have the cheap taiwain made lines and will crack over time and have oil leaks.

I put the 90deg bend on there so line come out cleaner looking. But later ran a braided big line and even that cracked and leaked oil. So I went back to the old stock sender. to make the oil light go out.

dont want a good motot to go bad over a taiwan plastic oil line.

VDO and others use a tranducer type and uses a wire to move the gauge now.

then the water temp is another set up you have to do..

I just run the stock water temp gauge . they are fine

• 2 months later...

Early 50's Nissan got a license to assemble an Austin motor car from domestic and imported parts. By the mid 50s they were making it from all domestic sourced parts and building their own cars and engines.

By the mid '50s the Datsun assembled Austins had progesssed to the point than most fasteners were at least BTS [british Trade Standard] joint US / British Screw Thread Commission joint trade standards [This commission still exists!  Annother cold war hangover] but the wheel studs were not SAE / BTS they were metric!  My buddy found this out the hard way, he had to put an American dime on top of the stud in order to get his standard US SAE wheel wrench to change a flat tire.  He bragged "I have metric nuts!"