Help what is this? Throttle

scumie510

Need help verifying what this is. The throttle connects to on end from pedal and to the carb on other end. Can anyone tell me what it is and do I need it? I'm installing a empi carb/ like Webber. It's a 70 510 auto and I'm swapping an l18 instead of l16. Thank you.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This switch tells the emissions system if full throttle or foot off gas pedal.

You probably have dual points also.... or did. One set is 4 degrees retarded and if active, retards the ignition to reduce emissions. This retard condition is allowed between idle and full throttle... if the temp switch signals above 50F, and the transmission 4th gear switch in inactive (not in forth).

Full advance is active at idle, full throttle, outside temp below 50 F, and in forth gear

• Like 1

This is my carb and where a cable would connect but I have a rod that pivots you can see on the right that is about an 1 to 1 1/2 lower. it don't have a throttle cable just little rods. I have a cable for the new carb but no way to connect it with the rely first posted.

E016E0B8-AE2A-46AF-8873-5E0AA69ADB8B_zps

55141ABC-0730-4B96-A43E-DA0A1F89C77C_zps

Mike, not to hi jack the thread but if he goes w cable set up, can he discard the switch mechanism?

I was going to ask the same? What would the negatives and how bad would it be?

This is what my throttle looks like. Not my car and different carb. I don't have the u mount on my carb.

13F828FA-79A2-45C8-BCD4-5E86B5723399_zps

I would have thrown that switch away day one. Without it you will be running proper full advance at all times. There will also be a second points relay for switching them... this can also be removed.

I would have thrown that switch away day one. Without it you will be running proper full advance at all times. There will also be a second points relay for switching them... this can also be removed.

So if I toss it I will not regret it. No cons? What's the second points relay?

Better toss into a box and save it just in case. Your 510 is smog test exempt but it still may have to pass a visual exam. It's illegal to remove or modify any year smog devices.

The second points are turned on and off by the relay when directed to by that switch. The second set of points is about 4 degrees retarded. When turned off the first set of points takes over and the engine runs at the proper advance.

Not sure if it makes a difference, he has an EMPI not WEBER 32/36 maybe setting it up is different than 32/36 weber.  I did not have any problem with my 32/36 weber and orig. linkages and it fit right there.

• Like 1

Here is my $.02 worth.  I have installed about 50 of these in 510's and  620's over the years.  I use the 1 piece adapter plate, NOT the two piece like you have that leaves the new carb on the same level as the original.  Use the "U" throttle shaft fitting from the original carb on a 510 and the cable piece from the 620.  Every body is happy at the end of the day.