J15 Nikki carb rebuild kit

Twony

Want to know people's opinion on the eBay rebuild kits ( I know it's not ideal to get cheap kit) but weather you can still get original Nikki kits or better quality kits? I can't seem to find them

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually a thorough cleaning will do. Find a manual for setting the choke, fast idle, choke unloader and float level. Keep primary and secondary jets separate, they can be swapped by mistake. 

• Like 3

I gave mine a good clean. They are a simple enough carb, but you got to watch the little ball bearings and springs and make sure you rubuild as per spec..

The only thing I replaced with new was the float needle (found it at a local store here in Thailand).

The fuel level is pretty easy to set up as you have the indication on the front glass screen to the fuel bowl. Just a pain taking the thing off a few times if you get the level wrong first time.

I suggest taking a load of pictures through the process to refer back to and hold back on having a few beers.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Yeah I have the carb apart all sorted ready to go back together. I thought about just cleaning it but the ball at the end of the float needle has a slight indent. it worked perfectly beforehand just thought while it's apart may as well fix it? But I noticed that the eBay kits don't have the ball type float needle

Even still I need the gaskets do the eBay gasket differ in quality!

A large table covered in newspaper. Tooth brush, carb spray, screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, 12mm wrench. A dental pick is handy and an assortment of very small cotter pins. Allow lots of uninterrupted time and a camera helps. Some things should not be removed, like the throttle plates, so read the instructions. Usually the gaskets can be removed and reused if not torn. Most don't seal gas in or out, just fumes and seal the case parts together.

I recently found my carb had been apart and one of the upward facing screws holding the throttle plate to the main case was mixed with a solid screw. This prevented vacuum from getting to the power valve.

I rebuild carbs on a large, light colored towel.  Ball bearings don't roll when on a towel.  It tends to grab springs and clips that get accidentally "flicked" off as well.  

I like Mike's tool recommendations, plus I always have a tiny needle nose pliers around, and an assortment of small screwdrivers, half a dozen different dental picks.  A magnetic dish to hold small parts is nice too, so you don't lose essential shim washers, springs, pins, etc...

Mike and Distributorguy have it covered. The gaskets, I made my own! Buy some gasket paper (most motor stores should sell) and a small hammer.

Place the gasket paper where it should be (Flat), with the small hammer, gently tap the edges and this should cut the gasket to the perfect size and shape.

First thing I ever did in auto shop was make a paper gasket that way from a paper hand towel. WTF I said? Who cares about this shit, I want to build a 426 hemi. So disappointed, the race hemi was the latest hot engine. That gasket making trick has saved me several times... the hemi? never did work on one.