L engine install

So here's a basic question.

Just set my L series back into my Z the other day and planned to let it hang from the motor mounts while I raise it on the lift to install the trans from underneath (as done with other vehicles in the past). What i found is the engine seems to hang much farther than I'm comfortable with.

If I let the mounts take the weight while I raise it will I damage them? Seems like it almost needs some other support....

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I've done that with many a Nissan engine and never worried about it.

The other good option is to leave the hoist holding most of the weight and use a jack to lift the trans. Then you're not depending on the mounts awkwardly.

It's normally the two engine and the one transmission mount.  A triangle... the most stable geometric shape.  . If you remove the trans mount you can expect the engine to tip forward or back. Slip a block of wood between oil pan and the crossmember to stabilize it. My L20B tips backward slightly when the transmission is out. I wedged a chunk of wood between the pan and the steering. When ready to install transmission, pull the wood out and the engine tilts down just perfect to slip the transmission on. Then jack the trans up and install the rear mount and crossmember.

• Like 2

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I'm going to look at the wood block on the cross member.....didn't think of that. I was eyeing the space between the firewall and the rear of the valve cover for a wood block before I posted but wasn't a fan of that approach.

Wanted to follow up as I just got in from the installing the transmission. Mike I made up a block and wedged it between the cross member and the oil pan, but as I lowered the engine it would capture the block but then just rotate over it - the block would wedge tightly but did not prevent the engine from continuing to drop. 

So I ended up using a short piece of 2 x 4 between the valve cover and the firewall and letting the engine rest on that. It worked out really well. 

Thank you again for your input guys!

Jay