H150 fail point

S13

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It only has to happen once. I don't know of any car made that comes with a locked differential because they wear out tires and splines and take too much driver effort to recover from when they get out of control. An open diff (even with an LSD) is much more predictable, has superior handling and why track cars have them.

Welded diffs (redneck LSD) are great for straight line and are the cheapest way for easy oversteer and that's what drifting is all about.

The H-150 is not going to be strong enough welded or not. They are capable of 125 lb/ft of torque. More and you will be replacing them regularly.  Weld them and you'll twist the splines off.

Shorten a ford 8.8 with LSD and do it once.

It only has to happen once. I don't know of any car made that comes with a locked differential because they wear out tires and splines and take too much driver effort to recover from when they get out of control. An open diff (even with an LSD) is much more predictable, has superior handling and why track cars have them.

Welded diffs (redneck LSD) are great for straight line and are the cheapest way for easy oversteer and that's what drifting is all about.

The H-150 is not going to be strong enough welded or not. They are capable of 125 lb/ft of torque. More and you will be replacing them regularly.  Weld them and you'll twist the splines off.

Shorten a ford 8.8 with LSD and do it once.

Thank you. That's all I wanted to know.

I recently decided I'm just going to throw a s13 subframe in it and more than likely have todo some sort of fender flares, so the wheels don't hang out and look stupid. I believe it's about 3.5 inches wider on both sides, so this should be interesting at the very least.

Drifter events, the drivers know the score. On the street, there are innocent other drivers that aren't interested in 'meeting' you.

An 8.8 is rated for 500 lb/ft of torque. That's enough for any idiot. :lol:

Drifter events, the drivers know the score. On the street, there are innocent other drivers that aren't interested in 'meeting' you.

An 8.8 is rated for 500 lb/ft of torque. That's enough for any idiot. :lol:

I understand that. But two main reasons I'm going s13 rear end. A) I hate ford. Lol B) when I break something I already have replacement parts. I would also rather not dick around with leaf springs when I already have coils for the s13 that almost have the perfect spring rate on them

What Mike said, get a 91 Ranger 8.8, narrow enough for a datto and strong and has an lsd already. Welded diffs are lame in all aspects. Sideways smashies are fucking up all the good cars for the rest of us.

Not sure I or anyone else asked for your opinion. While we are throwing opinions out. I think your lame and people like you are fucking up the fun for the rest of us... Lol

S13 coils will be perfect for S13? the 210 is much lighter. And shit! I would rather have the R-200. I think only the 300zx had the CLSD.

It's a light spring rate for the s13. It will work perfect.. I don't think I've ever seen a non JDM CLSD. All i have seen in Nissans are the garbage VLSD's. Those things suck..

So narrow the IRS then, make it fit the car

Who knows I may. But weld in flares were part of the original plan with this car. And it being wider makes it easier to use more affordable classic JDM wheels. More than likely long champs or some meshies.

Early z31 turbos had clsd differentials.

How does wider made it easier to fit those rims? Do you mean wider body makes it easier? Classic jdm rims aren't high offset...

Yeah you are right about the lsd. If I already widen the body of the car I will have to have extremely low offset wheels. A low low offset ssr long champ goes for 1700+ a more normal offset wheel goes for 750+. Anything classic low off set is always over 1500. Having a wider track width (I don't like spacers) from the subframe makes up for the gap and having to buy crazy wide wheels, and then struggling to find wide tires for 14's

I hate ford. Lol B) when I break something I already have replacement parts. I would also rather not dick around with leaf springs

Where did leaf springs come in? Your car doesn't have them, and the Ford axle can be adapted to your stock 4 link, so...

On the real, your stock 4 link set-up is probably better for what you want to do than the S13 IRS. And since the H190 rear axle from the S110/S12 will literally bolt right in and be basically unbreakable you'd really be wasting a lot of time and effort installing the S13 stuff just so you can go "hey, look how cool that is"...

Trust me. I've been there.   :rofl:

Isn't the point of drifting to over steer? IRS will need to be stiffened excessively and massive sway bars added to to remove what the IRS does naturally. That being better traction on uneven surfaces. Under extreme conditions of suspension travel, it cambers and toes in when braking or accelerating making it somewhat unpredictable. 

A solid axle has permanent camber and toe and would be better from the start.

The "other" drift car is solid axle. The ae86 makes that work just fine. Be awesome and shorten a pathfinder h233b. 4 link axle, modifiable CLSD, disc brake options. Just redrill to 4x114.

Isn't the point of drifting to over steer? IRS will need to be stiffened excessively and massive sway bars added to to remove what the IRS does naturally. That being better traction on uneven surfaces. Under extreme conditions of suspension travel, it cambers and toes in when braking or accelerating making it somewhat unpredictable. 

A solid axle has permanent camber and toe and would be better from the start.

Well IRS is extremely easy to stiffen... And no you don't want zero body roll it makes the car really twitchy and unpredictable on transitions. You couldn't understand this without actually setting up and testing a car. And on the rear we run a slight bit of rear camber and tow in which adds grip and keeps the tires flat on entries. If solid axel was so much better you would see them more in drifting. There is no adjustments on them. Which is horrible. If I'm running a faster course I add more toe in for more grip. When you actually get into drifting you realize the set up is barely different from a road race car at all.

Where did leaf springs come in? Your car doesn't have them, and the Ford axle can be adapted to your stock 4 link, so...

On the real, your stock 4 link set-up is probably better for what you want to do than the S13 IRS. And since the H190 rear axle from the S110/S12 will literally bolt right in and be basically unbreakable you'd really be wasting a lot of time and effort installing the S13 stuff just so you can go "hey, look how cool that is"...

Trust me. I've been there.   :rofl:

The stock four link is garbage. Solid rear axles are cool for donuts but actually building a competitive drift car needs adjustments. That's not an arguable fact. And this car may eventually compete in Texas street legal.

The "other" drift car is solid axle. The ae86 makes that work just fine. Be awesome and shorten a pathfinder h233b. 4 link axle, modifiable CLSD, disc brake options. Just redrill to 4x114.

I don't think I have ever seen a truely competitive 86.. They are really cool cars but really are not the best for drifting at all

The stock four link is garbage. Solid rear axles are cool for donuts but actually building a competitive drift car needs adjustments. That's not an arguable fact. And this car may eventually compete in Texas street legal.

I like the way the 4-link set-up drifts, but I think it's really more of a personal preference than "fact".  I've drifted leaf spring Datsuns, 4 link Datsuns, and IRS Datsuns. I don't personally feel the IRS cars were noticeably "better". Being able to adjust toe/camber certainly made initiating easier, but I personally felt like the 4-link cars had more control. They certainly rewarded higher entry speeds. In my experience, 510s drift better at low speeds, while 210s need to be going a lot faster. Obviously, in a competitive environment, you'll be seeing much higher entry speeds, so...

I'll agree the stock 4 link bars themselves are garbage with their big rubber donut connections, but some heim joints on adjustable rods do help that out a ton. 

I like the way the 4-link set-up drifts, but I think it's really more of a personal preference than "fact".  I've drifted leaf spring Datsuns, 4 link Datsuns, and IRS Datsuns. I don't personally feel the IRS cars were noticeably "better". Being able to adjust toe/camber certainly made initiating easier, but I personally felt like the 4-link cars had more control. They certainly rewarded higher entry speeds. In my experience, 510s drift better at low speeds, while 210s need to be going a lot faster. Obviously, in a competitive environment, you'll be seeing much higher entry speeds, so...

I'll agree the stock 4 link bars themselves are garbage with their big rubber donut connections, but some heim joints on adjustable rods do help that out a ton.

And that's one of many reasons why I gave you my 210.

• Like 1

Yeah, see the course I'm usually at the entry speed is anywhere from 60-75. So not really a slow track at all. So even on low power car toe in, little camber and a fairly stiff rear end helps out a lot. And like I said before this may be a TSL car in the future, and irs would be the only way todo it with 200hp. Considering some of the tracks have top of fourth entries. And the r200 will hold that power with no issues and I have a couple r200s just sitting, and I have coilovers for it. So all I would need to build is a custom tube mount and a custom drive shaft.

I have a couple r200s just sitting, and I have coilovers for it. 

That fit an S13, not a B310.  

So all I would need to build is a custom tube mount and a custom drive shaft.

If you want it to last more than one lap, you're going to have to fab a hell of a lot more than that.   ;)

Hell, you might be better off cutting the floor out of an S13 and welding it into the B310. 

If you want it to last more than one lap, you're going to have to fab a hell of a lot more than that. ;)

Hell, you might be better off cutting the floor out of an S13 and welding it into the B310.

That will take care of the rusted floors from a 210 that's been sitting for god knows how long.

If you want it to last more than one lap, you're going to have to fab a hell of a lot more than that.   ;)

Ehh you clearly don't understand when a say a tube mount. The subframe isn't going to touch any sheet metal. I'm going to build a tube structure that mounts into reinforced areas of the chassis. And have the r200 will fit in the subframe in the b310... SMH

These guys see new cowboys with big plans everyday. 99% of those plans end in a cut up car headed for the junkyard. The fact that drifting is the current fad motorsport means almost every new cowboy says the same things you say.

You might be the rare guy who actually can do it but we have no frame of reference to your skills. You want us to listen to your ideas, you're going to need to stick around long enough to establish some Rat cred. Prove you're worth listening to, otherwise no one will.