H150 fail point

S13

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welding a rear end is a very bad idea.

Remember that A10 I mentioned in your other thread?

The A10 sedans have an H190 diff that will bolt in to the 210.

Also, the S110 200sx has an H190 that will fit but also has disc brakes.

Sorry gato, the A10 uses an H-165B differential. Only the '82-'83 S110 had the H-190 diff... and it was coil spring suspension.

The PL510 wagon and the L20B powered 610 had an H-190 in them. Don't know if compatible width

LOL. Fair enough. I street drove a s13 daily for well over two years with a welded diff. Honestly it doesn't bother me at all. I feel more weird not hearing the chirping now. Pretty much regardless of what rear end goes into it, it will be welded.

Welding a rear end is a very bad idea.

Sorry gato, the A10 uses an H-165B differential. Only the '82-'83 S110 had the H-190 diff... and it was coil spring suspension.

The PL510 wagon and the L20B powered 610 had an H-190 in them. Don't know if compatible width

H165 that will still fit and is stronger than H150.

Mhub had a KA in his A10.

If drifting :rolleyes: get the largest diff in that you can.

Street? To avoid blowing it up don't...

Sudden clutch dumps and larger high traction tires are rough on the drive train and the diff in particular. Tires can act like a fuse and spin to relieve stress. Wheel hop will destroy a perfectly good diff in seconds. One tire fires are also bad and force the side and spider gears to transmit power while madly spinning at two times what the wheel is.

A proper LSD won't wear the tires..... as much as a Lincoln Locker. And way safer in poor traction conditions.

• Like 1

Gonna have to agree. welded diff on the street is retarded.  :rofl: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu:

The way I have always described it to people is, if you have a single hair on your nuts it won't bother you. Some of us don't I guess. Lol Or maybe you've never experienced one on the street? You never notice it except for parking. When driving normal the rear end isn't any more likely to kick out than a posi. Although if you don't drift, then you should think that's stupid.

• Like 1

On any turn, one or both rear wheels are sliding. They can't turn at different speeds because they are locked together. Great for drifting but will cause sudden unpredictable oversteer when braking, steering and in poor traction conditions. One day, pray it never comes, you will have to emergency brake and steer to avoid an accident and it will be too late. Once the rear is loose, there is no time to recover.

An open diff allows both wheels to grip the road at differing speeds, traction and suspension loads. One wheel doesn't tell the other side what to do and the handling is more neutral.  An  LSD locks the rear wheels but, uncouples them when forced past the breakaway point of their design.

JFC.....

Exactly. Stand in our shoes.

Guy shows up with a yard full of drift missiles.

Finds a classic, rare car. First goal-big engine swap and welded diff to turn into another drifter.

What we see is someone wanting to finger-bang another Datsun all the way to the graveyard.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

LOL. I don't have any missiles, I plan to have one but not anytime soon. Throwing a KA into something isn't a big goal. No need to get butt hurt cause of the sport I do.. I'm just going to use a s13 subframe I have laying around and build a tubular mount for it. You clearly don't know how anal I am about the upkeep of my drift cars/any car I own for that matter. No need to get a stick firmly logged up you ass, because I enjoy what I do and have no plans to stop anytime soon, espically when whinny little girls start PMS'ing.

My JFC was not directed at the OP or using a welded diff in a drift 510..... No PMS'ing here... Locked diff = big slip angle at the tire which is what you want i get it.  I had a welded diff in my street 510 before finding an LSD......it was a hoot, and also require some changes to suspension set up and driving style.....it ended up assisting with the failure of a trans but that was expected.

Oh okay, my last post was directed towards the other guy. But yeah welded diffs strain a lot more of the drivetrain for sure. But IMO it's worth it for how much fun they are. And they do cause quite a bit of under steer while "grip driving" I found less dampening and less spring rate helps out with that.

Honestly all this horrific things people talk about with locked rear ends have never happened to me or anyone I know. I under steered and high centered on the edge of a road, but that was my fault. Miss judged an off camber tightening radius corner on a mid night hill climb. No crazy traction loss or anything of that nature. Maybe if you were putting down some crazy ft/lbs. To this day I have yet to hear of any car under steering then suddenly breaking traction, quite frankly that doesn't even make sense to me. I gess you could faint and trail brake at the same time and maybe oversteer, while under steering, but you would really have to be trying to slide then.

• Like 1