WTF is with people?

I have lived here for about 25 years. I mind my own business. I talk to neighbors only if spoken to and nod back. I don't even know all their names. My idea of a perfect neighbor is one who does the same.

The elderly lady next door is now a widow and has been for 8-10 years? I see and talk to her rarely but we get along. (she doesn't like my 620 in my back yard but it's gone now) About two years ago she let the lower level of her home to her nephew and his wife. The guy is retired, cuts and weeds and putters around the property and is a general care taker. I talk to him every now and then

So a couple of weeks ago he says 'we' should cut down this plum tree along 'our' shared property line. It grew out of an old stump that the widow's husband asked me if he could cut down. As it was dead I agreed and he did probably 20 years ago. The present plum tree grew out of it and I trim off the shoots but it got away on me and is now 15-20 feet tall. Beautiful blossoms and shady over my Datsun but does drop sticky fruit jam on it. Last year I shook them all down and raked them up... no problem.

So I say not really, I kind of like it there but I can trim off the over hanging branches on 'his' side. He thinks it should be removed because it looks like hell and drops fruit on 'his' lawn. I tell Mrs. D about this so she calls the widow and says there been talk by nephew about cutting our plum tree. She agrees and says yes it has to go. Mrs. D say NO. It stays and not to cut it. Widow says 'we'll see'.

Last weekend we were away to Calgary. I come back and the tree is gone. Chain sawed down and cleared away. I am absolutely fucking outraged, stabbed in the back, pissed off. Branch marks show it was dragged out my driveway. Nephew has a truck. 

Neighbors witnessed it being taken away and saw who it was.

I have had the property line surveyed and one stump, about 8" is not mine. The other 8" is half and half.

Called the police and talked with them. Will be contacting them about action after the weekend.

That fucker! What do you think?

• Like 1
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Came across this years back, had to get a person studied in Dendrology from the local college out. The Denderologist was able to determine the orgin of growth and where it fell on the property line. Even though there was a setback code, the rule was the tree grew with out interference or complaint from the neighbor and that even though it was in the setback area the property owner of original seedling made all decisions regarding the the tree.

Disappointing underhanded shit, no doubt, but you need to consider the unforeseen consequences of taking action against bitter old retired people with nothing better to do than make your life hell. There's unfair, and then there's reality. Obviously they made an enemy, but are you prepared to go to war with your neighbor over a tree you agreed to have cut down 20 years ago? Do you morn the loss of the tree, or are you angry about the violation of your space?

• Like 2

Yep, I'd be pissed too.  In fact, I would probably do something really stupid, like cut down a gigantic tree and drag it into the middle of their driveway while they were off somewhere.  OR, I would systematically loosen the valve cores on their tires every week for a year.

But, all in all, there's a saying, "Good fences make good neighbors."  My neighbors are pretty cool and whenever the shrub overgrows, Julie hacks it off on her side, and I do nothing.  I just let it grow, and then occasionally hack it back on this side if it's gotten too large.  Still, I can't see any good coming from pursuing a "shared" tree cutting.  I would suggest writing them a pointed letter stating that you don't appreciate the way they handled things.  But even that is a waste of time.

I think for your younger self, maybe just smear peanut butter on the underside of their car during fall.  I'll bet the mice will appreciate it.  ;)

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure that my neighbor would be getting handfuls of seeds to anything that could possibly grow thrown over the fence. He might not have a plum tree to deal with, but there will be plenty of other stuff for him to take car of now. :devil:  Possibly followed by fertilizer to make sure it grows. B)

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that my neighbor would be getting handfuls of seeds to anything that could possibly grow thrown over the fence. He might not have a plum tree to deal with, but there will be plenty of other stuff for him to take car of now. :devil:  Possibly followed by fertilizer to make sure it grows. B)

I can bring some Scotch Broom seeds to Canby... plant at your own risk.

• Like 4

That really sucks and pisses me off, Mike. I pretty much take that personally. Bitches and cowards who do things behind your back "while you're away" really deserve to be dealt with real quick with effectiveness.They could have simply talked things over and both of you could have clarified your concerns and points- coming to a nice, peaceful agreement. But, NO. Instead, they went "the bitch" route and took advantage while you were peacefully away. Take, actions, legally, wiseful, and bravely into your own hands as best for you and your family as you could possibly see beneficial, and don't back down. It's not a matter of revenge but integrity.

Plant more trees, of all kinds, and even get a permit to grow hemp, if allowed to, just to show them who calls the shots on your own turf. Do all you possibly can within your legal rights, if possible. And, let us know what happens. Good luck!!!