Putting a sr20det in a 411

Mike411

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing you need to do is to take a tape measure and scope out the overall length of a SR20DET [including fan] and the available firewall to radiator room under the 411 hood!  Take especial note of the intrusion of the windshield wiper motor and related drive arms.

Luckily for you, I can barely remember my wedding anniversary but I have a Rainman like recollection of all things 410/411. On Instagram I saw a shop called 5pointz fabrication do this swap a year ago and just spent a half hour trying to find the pictures. Can it be done? Yes. Will it be easy? Hell no! If you assume it would cost $3000 and six months, I would guess it would cost $7000 and two years. This is speaking from personal experience. I did an A12GX/5spd in my wagon. The electrical was no problem but involved me flying somebody from Oregon to Hawaii and back and feeding and housing him for 10 days... enough talking on with the pictures!!!!

image_zpsveeactel.jpeg

Here is the first step of the process

image_zps6tix6tln.jpeg

Then slip in the motor, fabricate a new subframe, motor mounts, transmission mount, driveline, exhaust system, make a radiator fit and solve all of the radiator hose/fuel line/steering/master cylinder clearance issues that will come up, oil filter relocation and fabricate an entirely new firewall...

• Like 2

image_zpsxadqzar6.png

And when you're almost done, two years later. You just have to move your wiper motor in board and fabricate these linkages to make your wipers work. Hopefully your wife hasn't divorced you and you missed your kids growing up. Can't wait to see the progress. LOL

• Like 3

see link above from lockleaf. Clean efi engine

It is clean, it should also be noted that that is Jfbrink's latest swap in a long line of swaps including converting A 411 to electric. He has an impressive YouTube channel With a bunch of swaps...

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCyb1uvmwK6xKl4eolNe-mXg

• Like 2

I'm not sure where the steering box sits in a 411, but there are guys who've managed to finagle the down pipe off the stock SR bottom mount t25 turbo on LHD 510s. Not totally sure thats with the stock steering though. Miata rack in a 411? 

I'm not sure where the steering box sits in a 411, but there are guys who've managed to finagle the down pipe off the stock SR bottom mount t25 turbo on LHD 510s. Not totally sure thats with the stock steering though. Miata rack in a 411?

I would imagine if miata is too wide for 510, its way too wide for 411. Lots of finagling to make that happen. Maybe no space to move it up enough to make it work.

The engine bay on the 411 is so darn short, front to back, that you find yourself losing the wiper motor, putting fans in front of the radiator and generally getting goofy way too fast, even my G13BB, which is the shortest modern I4 I could find out there, required a 1/2" pocket for the cam end. The right V-6 is way easier, because I find the width far less of a challenge.

I've done a lot of Datsun drive train swaps, which always include all new electrical, fuel and brake systems, and each tends to take several years of planning, one year of building and about $2500-$3000. A lot of that price comes from the two things I don't do myself: driveshaft ($300) and exhaust ($200-300). I only buy major components from the JY on 1/2 price day. I fab a lot of stuff. I move very, very slowly to try to avoid having to do things more than once.

For people who find my Suzuki G13BB 1.3L swap too tame, let me know that it is relatively easy for less than $1K to add a AMR-500 supercharger to the engine. The blower basically bolts right to the stock A/C bracket. Just add aftermarket ECU and a small intercooler (and plenty of AMR-500 folks skip the intercooler). I was going to do it, but I ended up liking the car tame and gave the S/C to my dad for his G10 3-cylinder.

For people who find my Suzuki G13BB 1.3L swap too tame, but who want to stay N/A, I think this K8/KL V-6 swap I'm working on is going to be the sh*t. Test fitting indicated that no body mods will be necessary with a Miata 5-speed attached. I may need to massage the tunnel on my wagon, which did not have factory A/T, now that I am putting an automatic on the V-6. I will have to heavily modify the center section of the crossmember, but that's really not a big deal. Steering will stay the same; heater box and wiper motor can stay the same. I'll use stock 411 A/T shifter components to retain column shift, because that's how A/Ts should be shifted.

Best,

Jesse.

• Like 2

The engine bay on the 411 is so darn short, front to back, that you find yourself losing the wiper motor, putting fans in front of the radiator and generally getting goofy way too fast, even my G13BB, which is the shortest modern I4 I could find out there, required a 1/2" pocket for the cam end. The right V-6 is way easier, because I find the width far less of a challenge.

I've done a lot of Datsun drive train swaps, which always include all new electrical, fuel and brake systems, and each tends to take several years of planning, one year of building and about $2500-$3000. A lot of that price comes from the two things I don't do myself: driveshaft ($300) and exhaust ($200-300). I only buy major components from the JY on 1/2 price day. I fab a lot of stuff. I move very, very slowly to try to avoid having to do things more than once.

For people who find my Suzuki G13BB 1.3L swap too tame, let me know that it is relatively easy for less than $1K to add a AMR-500 supercharger to the engine. The blower basically bolts right to the stock A/C bracket. Just add aftermarket ECU and a small intercooler (and plenty of AMR-500 folks skip the intercooler). I was going to do it, but I ended up liking the car tame and gave the S/C to my dad for his G10 3-cylinder.

For people who find my Suzuki G13BB 1.3L swap too tame, but who want to stay N/A, I think this K8/KL V-6 swap I'm working on is going to be the sh*t. Test fitting indicated that no body mods will be necessary with a Miata 5-speed attached. I may need to massage the tunnel on my wagon, which did not have factory A/T, now that I am putting an automatic on the V-6. I will have to heavily modify the center section of the crossmember, but that's really not a big deal. Steering will stay the same; heater box and wiper motor can stay the same. I'll use stock 411 A/T shifter components to retain column shift, because that's how A/Ts should be shifted.

Best,

Jesse.

A caution!  The RL411 British Borg Warner Automatic Transmission was dependent on a "socket" fitting on the modified RL411 type R engine rear lower left block casting and a companion fitting bolted to the left front frame to fit up the horizontal shaft of the column shift mechanism!  Otherwise the BW M35 shift shaft would have no input.  Alignment of the shift points is very dependent on the integrity of the engine and transmission mounts.  Been there, done that, my RL411 with BW M35 transmission still works like the champ it is.  With replacement OEM transmission and engine block mounts [very many years ago]Don't know just how you will anchor the inboard engine block end of the BW column shift shaft.

Well Its going to be a manual, don't want an auto. What w trans are you running and what engine

Addressing me?  I have the original RL411 British Borg Warner M35 transmission and its original type R1600 cc engine as modified by the factory to fit into the mini 411 engine compartment!  The stock column shift only applies to the BW M35 transmission!  The manual 4 on the floor shift  version RL411 requires a tunnel hole and manual shift gear assembly.  It's not going to be as easy as you think it will be.  If you insist on going ahead with the manual replacement, I have a front manual floor replacement 4 on the floor rug segment that you can have, it's black loop ply if that makes any difference.