Engine options

kingfuzzz

First off I have searched and read and back and forth for a few weeks now. I love the search button trust me.

What I am wondering though is if there is a Sticky anywhere  that lists the motor options that would work in the 620's? I know the SR20DET and KA24 are the most popular, but from what years and what style?

Im hoping I didnt miss it somewhere and that maybe this will help other noobs too.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SR20s are popular for 620s?

Did you even try?

L. Z. LZ. KA. VG. SR. As far as Nissan goes.

Maybe throw in some GA or QR thoughts.

Stick to the L. Simple. Easy. Keep that thing running then you can think about tackling jobs outside of your scope.

• Like 1

SR20s are popular for 620s?

Did you even try?

L. Z. LZ. KA. VG. SR. As far as Nissan goes.

Maybe throw in some GA or QR thoughts.

Stick to the L. Simple. Easy. Keep that thing running then you can think about tackling jobs outside of your scope.

Outside my scope? Interesting. I didnt know you knew me that well...

Yes I am new to Datsun and yes i am planning on getting a 620.

I am not at all new to maintenance and have lots of time to research exactly what road I wan to go down as far as a swap.

I didnt think I needed to explain everything but here we go.

My plan is to buy a 620 and keep it simple at first. whether it comes with the l16 or l20 i dont care. I will make it reliable and fix everything else the way I want it before swapping the engine out.

I am only asking to possibly get a list together of what the options are. 1) for when I get there and 2) to possibly help out other people that are wondering the same thing.

I don't need to. You have been profiled.

Good to know that this forum is filled with such nice and helpful people...

And i am confused on how one question can help you profile someone. I guess when the time comes Ill just have to ask you all the questions since you must know it all then

THERES A 620 FOR SALE in Bellingham. Cant figure why don't run He has spark but cant get it running with rebuild motor. He too wanted a KA motor.

Buy that 620 and get it running.

I think you should do a QR whatever that is .

Ive seen that one too. I found an awesome one in Oregon too. says it runs great. they want 1500.

ITs nice to see some decent people on here too haha

THERES A 620 FOR SALE in Bellingham. Cant figure why don't run He has spark but cant get it running with rebuild motor. He too wanted a KA motor.

Buy that 620 and get it running.

I think you should do a QR whatever that is .

The QR is from the newer sentras. 2006 ish

While the Gatos presentation may not always be there most friendly, his info is totally accurate.

You were asking what versions from what cars?

rwd Sr20s are all imported S chassis motors.

D21 and frontier Ka engines are the easiest to fit in. But the truck wiring harnesses suck, so it's better to get an S chassis wiring harness to get it all fitted.

Icehouse and blackmarkit both make boxes that make the wiring very simple. These will work for most all the engines listed above.

Beyond those, loads of research. If it fits in a 510 it should fit a 620 with a different oil pan, so that might help you explore options.

• Like 2

While the Gatos presentation may not always be there most friendly, his info is totally accurate.

You were asking what versions from what cars?

rwd Sr20s are all imported S chassis motors.

D21 and frontier Ka engines are the easiest to fit in. But the truck wiring harnesses suck, so it's better to get an S chassis wiring harness to get it all fitted.

Icehouse and blackmarkit both make boxes that make the wiring very simple. These will work for most all the engines listed above.

Beyond those, loads of research. If it fits in a 510 it should fit a 620 with a different oil pan, so that might help you explore options.

Thanks for the info.

I can tell he knows his stuff and luckily i dont actually get mad when people come off a certain way. Its the internet, you can only get so mad.

Blackmarkit's stuff is mainly 521 based.

Icehouse's Can-Am box is probably the easiest route.

Redeye makes KA mounts for the 620s.

I'm not trying to be off putting. But you're not the first guy to show up, wanting to buy a Datsun ready to do a full on swap before he even has a truck.

I was the same way too. Find me a 521 and do a KA swap. I'm so boss.

Here I am, many years later, still happy to death with my running/driving L16 sitting on 4-wheel drum brakes.

Next swap for me? L18. Swap after that? Another L.

Minimum down time. Easy to fix. Minimal fuss.

I get it dude. No hard feelings.

I will be buying a KC for sure considering my size, it just makes sense.

As for motors, I am completely happy with an l16 to start with. I would rather have the it running and have the rest of the truck where i want it before i blow my load on a swap then not be able to do anything else how I want.

I will most likely go the KA route when the time comes, and I have J2eDeye page saved for easy access to the mounts.

Also, you mentioned Icehouse's setup and I am wondering if you know how that would compare to a MegaSquirt setup?

Are you talking about the one in Mount vernon hainz? Not too far from me, ad said $500. Started out asking about ei distributor and ended up miswiring the battery and attempting to start. Grab that one, go to town

Is it straight? You should get that and store it for me :lol:

Ive seen that one too. I found an awesome one in Oregon too. says it runs great. they want 1500.

ITs nice to see some decent people on here too haha

Most guys on here are decent, including flatcat... 

You have to look at it from our perspective. We have seen many threads like this one started by many people with little happening other than a vehicle getting parted out. It happens all too often and it is difficult to watch. While you may have the skills necessary to obtain a 620 and complete the swap, the first post of this thread is like an emergency warning to these guys. 

In short it is a defense mechanism.

Roll with it and prove yourself and each one of these guys will have your back throughout your build thread, with some inappropriate shenanigans thrown in of course. 

• Like 1

I get it dude. No hard feelings.

I will be buying a KC for sure considering my size, it just makes sense.

As for motors, I am completely happy with an l16 to start with. I would rather have the it running and have the rest of the truck where i want it before i blow my load on a swap then not be able to do anything else how I want.

I will most likely go the KA route when the time comes, and I have Redeye's page saved for easy access.

Also, you mentioned Icehouse's setup and I am wondering if you know how that would compare to a MegaSquirt setup?

Icehouses setup complements the ECU system by creating a single interface to power all the ECU operations, it does not replace it.