How the HECK do you remove the ignition switch cylinder from a 260z?

This is actually the most frustrating experience of my entire life.

My keys are old and worn out and they barely work 90% of the time so I bought a new ignition switch and I've got the entire cylinder out but I can't figure out how the HECK the cylinder works.

I found that little small pin between the lock and off space and after 3 hours I decided to just get a drill and drill the entire thing out and I believe I've drilled the entire pin out at this point but I still can't get the cylinder out.

I also have a 240z so would the switch from that one work if I can't get the cylinder out of my 260?

Please for the love of god someone help me.

• Like 2
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be a hole where you poke a paperclip into and then that will allow you to remove the cylinder attached to the pot metal piece.  However, with your drilling, it may also have stuck a piece inside that where it's binding up coming out.  Maybe a dremel inside the part you drilled out.  Smooth off, try again?

• Like 1

@HRH

Where exactly is this hole at? I've done hours of research at this point and can't find a clear guide.

That being said I just took the one from my 240 out and swapped it. I'm tempted to just drill the whole cylinder out and drive it like I stole it.

@GPA

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying?

It's been a little while since I took mine apart but I do remember drilling out the pin and removing the face cap to extract the key cylinder on my post 1969 510 (I think 1968 is removed by paper clip). you should be able to remove the key cylinder after the pin and cap are gone.

The 240/260/280 assembly should be compatible with the column mounted 510s. I used a switch from a 280z (NOT a 280zx).

7181B233-578C-45D1-8E76-DB62D23F479D-326

0A0BC860-C36B-4D00-B65F-619A32CAE028-326

7B49A702-89E1-42E0-8C8B-9CBA15DEE030-326

1F06B584-A8CD-45AE-85F6-E0BEE66A0885-326

• Like 1