l18 compression test

sanyantho

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there something that you're not telling us? Why would you replace the gasket???? Is it leaking coolant??? If no, LEAVE IT ALONE. and move on

When I removed the water pump, the gasket came loose and ripped. So I have to replace it. I removed the water pump because I am replacing the timing chain, since I am changing the head. Everything already opened.

• Like 1

That's okay. Look at it as a learning experience.  While you already have the head off check the cylinder walls? you may want to consider a total rebuilt, depends on how many miles your car.

Cylinder walls looks good. I do not want to pull the whole motor out for a rebuild. BTW I wish I had a tree to work under, I working on my drive way and its hot as hell. lol

aIf you knew your were going to pull the pump you should have had a spare gasket ready.

Thats why one should be 2/3 felpro front cover kets to be readdy all the time.

You dont need to take the water pump off when doing a timming chain but once you go that far and motor is old maybe put a new pump on.

I was not thinking ahead. I had to remove the radiator and fan guard to replace the fan belt anyways. So my as well replace timing chain and water pump since the motor is old.

Hi All,

I brought a Japanese timing chain kit from Ebay and found that it is too long. Am I suppose to shorten it to size?

You got the chain for an L20B, get one for any Z car 240,260,280 they will fit an L18, CHAIN only, tensioner body is different in the 6 cyl.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ratsuns,

So I replaced the head and timing chain for my 620. She starts but runs rough. I was unable to see the timing mark on the pulley with a timing gun. She is blowing a lot off white smoke out the exhaust. When I turn her off, the engine keeps on running for 3 minutes before shutting off. Can someone please help? I am going crazy here! lol

Check ur spark plugs if super clean then coolant and oil is mixed. You can also do a compression check, if low then somtin is not right. Also check ur dipstick if it looks like malt or choc. Milk headgasket issue. What is ur idle, should be like 800, if idle too high that can cause your engine not to shut off. Main thing is u did not blow a headgasket. Did u torque in sequence?

Check ur spark plugs if super clean then coolant and oil is mixed. You can also do a compression check, if low then somtin is not right. Also check ur dipstick if it looks like malt or choc. Milk headgasket issue. What is ur idle, should be like 800, if idle too high that can cause your engine not to shut off. Main thing is u did not blow a headgasket. Did u torque in sequence?

I didnt torque in sequence, I just torque head bolts from the inside to out. Idle is diffidently high, I dont have the tech meter to tell exactly. I will check on the rest tomorrow. Thanks RacerX

torq inside out is fine

If unable to see timming marks with the gun then your not even close to have the timming right. Might be hard to tell if not running good

You put motor back to TDC  recheack the rorotro and see if on #1 plug wire. Better be real close. or remove the dist and recheck the dist spindle and see if close to 11/28 position.

if white soem sometimes the intake bolts are loose and its sucking water in from the intake. If you have water passage holes in the head

• Like 1

disconnect the coil spark plug wire first. Take the dist. cap off and get an adjustable wrench and turn the crankshaft bolt and watch the rotor. While doing this watch for timing marks.  When it's at TDC, your rotor should be pointing towards the radiator and now line up the dist. and number one spark plug wire and should be very closed to TDC.  Your timing mark should also line to TDC.  Also take the valve cover off and the 1st 2 cam lobes should be at 10 and 2 ocklock position. 

disconnect the coil spark plug wire first. Take the dist. cap off and get an adjustable wrench and turn the crankshaft bolt and watch the rotor. While doing this watch for timing marks.  When it's at TDC, your rotor should be pointing towards the radiator and now line up the dist. and number one spark plug wire and should be very closed to TDC.  Your timing mark should also line to TDC.  Also take the valve cover off and the 1st 2 cam lobes should be at 10 and 2 ocklock position. 

I did this, my timing mark is within 5 degree TDC. 1st 2 lobes are at 10 and 2 o clock or very close to it. My dizzy shaft tang is at 11:28. When I start the truck and warm up the engine, I cant see the timing mark with the gun. Also do you guys know why that I am idling so high? Thanks

torq inside out is fine

If unable to see timming marks with the gun then your not even close to have the timming right. Might be hard to tell if not running good

You put motor back to TDC  recheack the rorotro and see if on #1 plug wire. Better be real close. or remove the dist and recheck the dist spindle and see if close to 11/28 position.

if white soem sometimes the intake bolts are loose and its sucking water in from the intake. If you have water passage holes in the head

intake manifold bolts?