l18 compression test

sanyantho

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also the screw in type of compression checker is much accurate than the plug in type. Make sure engine is warmed up to operating temp. Feel upper hose of radiator if hot then good to go or check temp. Gauge.

Thats better...ideal is like 170 since the book says so. But not knowing how many miles the engine has and what kind of work has been done u can only go with ur reading. Does it smoke like black or dark gray? If not keep on driving?

Yeah, I'd say it's good. The smoke is a little concerning but.. whatever. Just watch the level and it would be fine.

Does it smoke at idle, on acceleration, or on deceleration? Or all of the above?

When you accelerate, at freeway, for example, look at ur rear view mirror if its smoking like bluish color, then engine is going bad, maybe rings, if its like blackis or dark grey can be too rich. Also if the car hardly has any power going up hill then maybe time for a rebuilt but ur compression is good enough..like i said earlier keep on driving and start saving some money for a rebuilt.

Too much clearance can cause the rocker to be thrown out. A dropped seat can also.

A stinking valve would present as a valve that is increasingly difficult to set the proper clearance. Eventually it cannot be adjusted as you have run out of thread and the pivot post has been turned down all the way. I posted a thread about a cure for a sunken valve. Not a fix really but a way to get more adjustment and keep it on the road. Presumably until a new head can be sourced.

If you can adjust your valves or valve and have clearance then it may not be sinking.  Adjust your valves now.  This is the first thing you should do and not assume that your valve or valves is sinking. You may be able to save yourself money and heartaches of a cylinder head job.  According to one of the Datsun books I have, a valve adjustment should happen every 10K miles.  Trust me on this..I just experienced it.  Do a search on Ratsun for sinking valve L18 engine.

Too much clearance can cause the rocker to be thrown out. A dropped seat can also.

A stinking valve would present as a valve that is increasingly difficult to set the proper clearance. Eventually it cannot be adjusted as you have run out of thread and the pivot post has been turned down all the way. I posted a thread about a cure for a sunken valve. Not a fix really but a way to get more adjustment and keep it on the road. Presumably until a new head can be sourced.

This is exactly what happened to my valve.

If you can adjust your valves or valve and have clearance then it may not be sinking.  Adjust your valves now.  This is the first thing you should do and not assume that your valve or valves is sinking. You may be able to save yourself money and heartaches of a cylinder head job.  According to one of the Datsun books I have, a valve adjustment should happen every 10K miles.  Trust me on this..I just experienced it.  Do a search on Ratsun for sinking valve L18 engine.

Yes, I adjusted my valves several times that how I know that one of them is sinking.