Brake + CHG warning lights

jboulukos

Can you explain Parts House? Is it a business that sells and tests auto parts?

He means, any parts store. Napa, Autozone, car quest.. etc. They have starter and alternator bench testing equipment that will tell you if it's fully functional.

• Like 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again...remove alternator and take to a parts house than can bench test the thing.

Just charging at specific times does not mean it is good.

Whistling noises...unplug the clip on alternator while it is making noise...what happened?

Ok went to a starter and alternator place and was quoted $100 for rebuild.

He means, any parts store. Napa, Autozone, car quest.. etc. They have starter and alternator bench testing equipment that will tell you if it's fully functional.

Thank you for the clarification. Being specific and typing Napa or Autozone would have been great the first time. Both have fewer letters than Parts House as well.

But...but...if you know of a rebuild shop for starter/alternators...go there.

And the $100...drop in the pan. I'd rather go that route then buying a junk off the shelf unit from "Napa or their competitors."

I agree.  I found a rebuild shop that is testing it free of charge.  Thanks for the help.  I'll post the outcome.

Update:  The alternators diodes, rectifier, regulator and bearings needed replacement/rebuild.  Rotor and Stator were polished as well.

I'm impressed with the work, price ($85) and fast service.  Tomorrow i'll put it in and give update on the outcome regarding test drive and warning lights.   

IMG_4978.jpgIMG_4977.jpg

• Like 1

Update

The alternator was put back on today and started right up.  No warning lights were on during idle, with gas and while driving.  There is no longer a buzzing noise from the black box adjacent to the battery when the headlights are on.  The voltage is 14.6 at idle and 13.4 under load (radio, high wipers, high heat, rear defroster, high beam headlights).  The car drives much nicer now.  

Thanks for all the help, suggestions and advice.  I learned about "parts house" and rebuild shops.  Also learned a bit about alternators as well as v belts and how to put them on.  I'm glad there is a CHG warning light in the car and I'm glad its now off.

• Like 2