Calling WA locals! Comrade in need of assistance

BhamDatto

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just put it back together verifying all was lined up( again lol )

About to throw the timing light on bro

Wierd thing I just noticed from other pics around while checking was seems everyone's distributors vac advance ports are facing away from the motor/ matchbox towards the carbs, ever since I've had the truck this has been reversed shud I switch that for good measure? Also seems that whoever before me set it buried to one side on the 8mm timing adjuster underneath, probably safe to set this to center yes?

Dont mess with the 8 mm unless u have to. If you cant get enough advance w the 10 mm, top, then mess w the 8mm. Best to use a 8 mm stubby if u have to, easier to get to. Also if u have a dial type of timing light much better if not use what u have. Always locate tdc for better reference.

Small victory!

Hainz, Timing light is saying it's like 25+ deg now,

it was like down on the pulley around 4 o'clock when it first fired up but was def the familiar sound I'm used too!

I did have to fully retard both 8 and 10mm adjusters on the dist.

Drove it around had a bit of power back and no extreme weirdness (no surging jallopyness) but would still hiccup out of the carbs when shifting from 1 - 2 every so often, but damn it felt good to cruise for a minute finally.

Il get some low end back once I figure that crazy adv out correct? It kinda wraps up and doesn't go anywhere too quick

loosen both the 10mm and the 8mm and dial the dist in to close to 10btdc using the timming light.

olddatsuns.com you tube part 5 or 6 shows me install a distributor

do not touch the cam gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

people get new dist with the mounts and they are not totally set for another motor.

You should be able to go from Zero to 25btdc buy turning the dist. If not then you might be off a tooth.

I fixed a car truck this way couple months ago. He was running 5 deg adter tdc. A simple timming light ck woul have caught this.

• Like 1

Sometimes if a Matchbox there are 2 different pedastals.  One can flip the timming plate and might work better to get the adjustment in.

remove the dist onTDC and look in to see if spindal the 11:28 position then its fine. then reinstall the dist and the plug wire should be on TDC or dial it in to TDC on plug wire and adjust the timming plate to centor on both. shoyld be close to fire and ajust to say 7-12 btdc and see what happens

Vroom fuckin vroom

Truck starts better than my 97 jeep now :) revs smooth and under load no stutter minus the carb pistons lagging if I stomp on it,(at least that's what I'm theorizing) the su's like the even pedal press I've found.

seriously thanks for keeping my mind on track gents

Beers n bowls on me if you ever make it up north to Bellingham

Originally was at well past 3 lengths of the timing plate on the crank pulley so like 60 deg out? That was that 8mil underneath the dizzy buried all the way to one side, reversed this, truck likey. Not sure how it even started ( good girl) Timings at 12ish deg now as it was trying to cough every now and then while driving out the carbs lower than 10 deg

Carbs might have been adding to the annoyances but all I did to them was new fuel lines and sprayed carb clean up thru the Venturi, I do want to put a tad lighter oil in the pots to see if that helps them. Synced them best I could and dialed in the mixture, plugs are looking nice n dry with just a but of white/tan on the ends.

Lol Hainz, I won't leave you guys hangin like that dude! I'm actually busting my turn signal switch apart today once I have some coffee to clean the connections my tail lights started tripping out, have break lights and one turn signal so I'm assuming loose wire/old solder/shorted burnt up crap wire/corrosion. But that's ez rainy day stuff to track down.

My fans also doing signature Boeing Airbus on take off haha can't hear my sweet exhaust notes over it! But il take a loud ho if she runs like a queen

Drove it the work today to test it out in traffic hills etc, all systems go. (Well minus the tail plights but brakes work so fuck it) it'll work itself out

Think il start a build thread since I've caught the fever again and so any wierd questions can b answered without clogging up the board.

Thanks again everyone