Another camshaft question...

Stitebunny

I adjusted the valves on my engine and was wondering what cam I have installed. Below are the only markings I could see. I have tried to research a bit and have only found that maybe the 210 implies it came off a 210 head? It is hard to see but the back is stamped with a C.

This is in a W53 head on an l20b. It runs well with dual Dellorto 40's. Is there a cam that would suit me better for street driving? Not daily, but only occasionally.

I did not measure the cam at all yet.

A1308CDC-04A4-4834-908E-779691FDB3AD.jpg

979888EE-444C-46D4-B7C2-CE1CE983C6C1.jpg

Also saw this. It is chipped a little bit. The cam lobe looks okay. Only the rocker arm is damaged.

C787672B-7C23-47B9-B93E-4E6F7C7EC0DD.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it's been re-ground. Get a micrometer or vernier and measure across the narrowest part of the cam. Stock base circle is 1.310" I believe. Now measure across the widest part of the cam lobe. The difference between these two should be 0.276" (L20B cam) and 0.261" for L16.

If your measurements are different post them and the valve lift can be calculated.

Thanks guys. I will try and get it measured here in a day or 2.

So it seems I may have room to improve with a different camshaft.

I will look around and see what I can find. What would you guys recommend for a street engine cam. Stock l20b bottom end, w53, electronic distributor and dual side draft carbs?

I seem to remember the head was maybe ported a bit. It's been a long time since I assembled this and can't remember everything!

Also, any ideas as to why this cam may have been installed if it is a stock 510 cam? Any benefits? Maybe it's all previous owner had? Just curious.

Thanks again. I'll check back with numbers.

I would say it's been re-ground. Get a micrometer or vernier and measure across the narrowest part of the cam. Stock base circle is 1.310" I believe. Now measure across the widest part of the cam lobe. The difference between these two should be 0.276" (L20B cam) and 0.261" for L16.

If your measurements are different post them and the valve lift can be calculated.

This is an L20B cam, I don't know if they are all the same casting but this one looks like it has a lot more 'meat' on it. A regrind thins them down and I thought the one above does look thinner.

L20Bbrokencam.jpg

those retainers look modified from aftermarket ones as it has a different color to it.

Ask your self if spending money on a new can and recommended new rockers and find a set of lash pads it worth 5 more HP

cam was most likely from a L16 core. as hate no having the wrench tang.

Just beware of the rocker arm. Maybe replace it

set up another head and swap one day