I am in need of a wise Mechanics help.....

d510addict

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive done everything already. The car runs well, a big improvement. I think the problem was I was setting the ign timing with too high of a idle rpm AND the dizzy drive was off a tooth which really just limited how much I could turn the dizzy for adjustment. All I need to do is set the carb tomorrow.

• Like 1

They are a non electronic, diagnostic tool and a skillset for reading and interpreting them is needed, like reading spark plugs. It can diagnose lots of carb and valve problems and indicate what's going on in the combustion chamber (ignition) and even what's going on in the exhaust pipe.

• Like 1

Yep..lots of stuff in the net about vacuum gauges.  Old skool mechanics relied on them a lot to not only diagnose engine issues but can even adjust carb settings.  Makes sense since engine creates vacuum and car needs vacuum to operate.  They are only like $20.00.

• Like 1

Mechanically, there is not a lot of difference between a 1940 flathead engine, and the latest, electronically controlled modern engine out there.  If either engine has poor vacuum, because of some mechanical condition, it is not going to run good.

necessary diagnostic tools we all should have for ol skool cars like our beloved Datsuns:  timing light (dial type), vacuum gauge, vacuum pump, compression checker and dwell meter (with RPM).  You can even adjust carb setting with a vacuum gauge.  You maximize vacuum and back off a tad with fuel mixture screw.