KA Swap Flywheel/Clutch?

Hello, after a long time of not working on my 620, I've gained enough funds to go at it finally. 

A 1995 240SX KA24DE will be going in with a 720 5 Speed transmission. I don't have a flywheel nor clutch. I'm aware that you can't go wrong with exedy; however, before I buy, if you all would be kind enough to confirm that this is what I need....also, I read that the D21 truck flywheel and clutch are bigger; does anyone recommend I go that route instead? This 620 will be for commuting/cruising/hauling, no racing, although I might look into adding a turbo in the far future. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH-PRO-KIT-HD-FLYWHEEL-fits-1991-1998-NISSAN-240SX-2-4L-DOHC-KA24DE-/400782950816?fits=Year%3A1995%7CModel%3A240SX&hash=item5d508681a0:g:Y1QAAOSwDk5ULcoH&vxp=mtr

Thank you!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think since I'll be driving it stock for a long while I can't justify spending double on that.

With that in mind, should I then get this D21 Exedy kit?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH-PRO-KIT-HD-FLYWHEEL-fits-NISSAN-PATHFINDER-UFCCKUP-720-D21-2-0L-2-4-/182110463110?nav=SEARCH

There's also two other kits...one is stage 1 and stage 2 for only a couple more dollars.

Which one should I go for?

Thanks

FWIW, I hate driving stock cars with performance clutches. They take more rpm and more finesse to engage with chattering the hell out the car. When there is additional power on hand to match them, they work great, but without it, I'm of the opinion they suck.

D21 is already an upgrade from S chassis. I would say just go with that.

• Like 1

Be sure that your pressure plate/flywheel uses 9 bolts instead of 6 when going to the larger clutch. 

Here is what I found when I ran the 6 bolt setup

I think I figured out what happened with the clutch as well. The wear on the flywheel and pressure plate is weird and patchy. I noticed the flywheel in the truck has only 6 tapped holes for the pressure plate. The pressure plate for the stock 240mm clutch needs 9 bolts. I think there was just not enough clamping force for the pressure plate.  The new flywheel has 9 tapped holes so we will see once I get the driveshafts back in and take it for a drive. 

IMG_4170.jpg

You should be able to make out the patchy wear in this shot. 

IMG_4171.jpg

Hey RedEye thanks for the heads up! Hey were you able to use the same bolts from your L20B transmission bell housing with the KA/720 5 Speed bell housing? Lengths the same? 

Yes those are all the same. The starter may need to be drilled out to allow bolting to the bell housing if you are using a 720 transmission. Check your configuration before installing the motor or trans in the truck.