driver side door wont unlatch anymore.

blackbomber

Hey guys . the bomb is back.....   got a few issues with the door going on.....first.. it wont unlatch from the inside...  for a long time I could spray lube down inside the window , and on the latch itself.  and it would start working  again.  for a while...now I have too keep the window down and lift the outside handle...   the door still locks,  even with the key....I have never had door apart,   so will need step by step instructions.....Thanks guys...truck is running good ....   bought it in May 1984.... :thumbup:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the arm rest and opening handle bezel off on the inside and using a blunt table knife slide under the door card around the outer edge and pry and release the clips holding it to the metal door. I'm going from doing to a 620 and the 710 but the 720 probably is close. Lift the door card away. Now the handle release, door lock push button,door latch is (sort of) accessible.

Basically look for something not right. The handle release is a push rod and if it was tight, forcing it may have bent it which will shorten the throw. Lube everything specially the latch where the push rod goes so that it moves easily. One I had, had a plastic support on the push rod to hold it in place that was broken. Without support to hold the rod in place it would bend under load. I used a plastic zip tie.

Check that the clips are in place on the door card. The door card goes back on by making sure the plastic clips match the holes in the door and then just thumping the card above it with your fist to attach. Start at the top sides and work down to the bottom edge. 

• Like 1

Do you have the panels that go all the way up to the window, or the kind that stops below? If you have the ones that go up to the window make sure you take off the lock knob.

And with either one you also need to remove the window actuator handle. It has a C clip on the back side against the door panel. Make sure you get everything off once you pop the panel, they're just fiber board so it's pretty easy to break if it gets caught up anywhere.

• Like 1

My 74 620 did that to me. it was the plastic Jesus clip that held the door latch arm  to the latch. I use silicone, jammed it together and let it dry overnight so I could sell the truck.  The new clips were on the way and I still have the, factory Nissan clips.

ok, mike,,, figured out what door card is...the inside panel...  and yea it looks like my panel goes around door lock,,  so I assume I can screw that out...cool,,  now the rubber seal that goes up against the windshield?   does that come off with the door panel, ?? or  whats the deal???   

Yeah door lock and window regulator have to be removed. (hey, I hadn't had my second coffee) Once the retaining clips are popped, the door card should just lift up and out taking any window rubber or felt with it. It might be easier to remove with the window down?

ok mike,,  thanks for your help,,,   you have really  been there for me... , I feel confident at this point.  I will probrably work on it this weekend...  the other issue is probrably not fixable.   the door sags badly...you have to lift it up for it to latch when you close it... I think where the bottom hinge attaches to door is rusting out.....will have to replace the door ,   eventually,  but maybe I can reinforce it from the inside once I get the panel off....    who knows :blush:

Probably the hinge is worn. Drill the hole larger so it will take a 'big three' hinge bushing repair kit....

Here's the idea...

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18773-fix-510-door-hinges/

Nice!!! I've always had a parts truck or at least known where one was so I've always just swapped out hinges. That's a great way to save them.

Yeah that's what I did too. The Nissan hinges are just a pin, no bushing. On one, I just drilled it out and put a bolt through with nut on the bottom. Has to be a snug hole to bolt fit or it's as bad as the old one. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,   bomber here...Got the door fixed, it was easy,,,  it was just too much play in the whole thing,   so, I put a little bend in the rod,  and it started releasing it ok,  and lubed the hell out of everything...   thanks guys,    your the best....  Hey mike,  took some pics of the truck yesterday....  If your interested I can email them from my home computer,  If not, that's cool too...    thanks again  Ratsun friends