Help with my J16 520 Tranny and fuel pump!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That hole looks pretty professional.

Are you having issues with the trans?

I just got the car like a,week ago.. im doing all the oil changes and wen i was about to do tranny oil change i seen that hole.. this car hasnt been drivn in 20+ years

lb1x3.jpg

Have never seen this on a 520 transmission before. The opening to get at the pressure plate and the finned oil pan are unknown to me and interesting. I have had a 521 L16 and assumed the J13 trans was about the same.

Could the engine and transmission have been swapped? (could it be an R16 from a roadster, or something?) Can you post pictures of the engine?

As mentioned GL-4 gear oil 80w90 is fine. Do NOT let a counter monkey talk you into using GL-5 because it is better. It is, but what makes it better, is what makes it not so good for your brass synchros.

The hole should eventually be covered... just to keep water and dirt out.

• Like 1

lb1x3.jpg

Have never seen this on a 520 transmission before. The opening to get at the pressure plate and the finned oil pan are unknown to me and interesting. I have had a 521 L16 and assumed the J13 trans was about the same.

Could the engine and transmission have been swapped? (could it be an R16 from a roadster, or something?) Can you post pictures of the engine?

As mentioned GL-4 gear oil 80w90 is fine. Do NOT let a counter monkey talk you into using GL-5 because it is better. It is, but what makes it better, is what makes it not so good for your brass synchros.

The hole should eventually be covered... just to keep water and dirt out.

so guys this is my bros truck.. wen we were tweaking the engine to get it to run we also did some cleaning and i was basically looking at the whole set up of the engine just to get familiar with it.. the lovely family we picked it up from had no idea wut was in it because the father/husband was the one that did all the work..(he had passed away).. but the wife did say he swapped the engine out in the 90s n was very specific given her age as to telling us wut city he got it from and that it came from japan.. any way i figured i look too see if it is a j13.. so i scratch all the dirt n stuff off from where the i.d of the engine is.. n it says j16.. i was like wut the hell j16?.. ROADSTER!!! So yah thats wut we are dealing with..

Since i have u guys here i got another problem. I ordered a j13 fuel pump which came yesterday and when i put it on i seen a little gap its leaving. I also seen other pictures of fuel pumps and i see them installed the way im holding mine but i also see them installed the other way around.. i cant put mine in the other way around because the studs are long .. are the fuel pump studs supposed to be that long?

99nxmr.jpg

t851qp.jpg

I didnt not know it was a j16 block when i bought the pump.. so im guessing this one wont work?

Since i have u guys here i got another problem. I ordered a j13 fuel pump which came yesterday and when i put it on i seen a little gap its leaving. I also seen other pictures of fuel pumps and i see them installed the way im holding mine but i also see them installed the other way around.. i cant put mine in the other way around because the studs are long .. are the fuel pump studs supposed to be that long?

99nxmr.jpg

t851qp.jpg

I didnt not know it was a j16 block when i bought the pump.. so im guessing this one wont work?

Take it back and order the right engine size pump.

Why are you so worried about the hole? If you can find a plug, awesome, if not, oh well.

And this is coming from someone who really digs into the details. Focus on other things to get it running and come back to it later.

I just thought it was a problem but i guess not.. the car runs i just got the wrong pump so now i gotta order the j16 fuel pump and from there see what else i can do..

Wat about the tranny mike? Is it a roadster trans?

J16 is not even close to a Roadster engine. The roadster used the R16 series engine. J16 may be from Central America

Not if the engine is a J16 it isn't.

33ndwn5.jpg

This appears to be an F4W63 same as used with the 520/521,510 and early 620, except the engine bolt pattern. A similar (upgraded?) F4W63L was used in the later 610/710/A10. I've just never seen that oil pan with the fins before.  .