1982 720

MattC280Z

Got a guy a few miles away from me selling a 1982 Datsun 720, 2WD, 4 Speed, Single Cab, Long Bed.

It isn't locked up turned the crank the other day when I went to look at it, one rust hole in the bed and unlike my 620 no floor pan rust. While I had the battery in I tried all interior electronics and everything works minus the dome light and it lacks a bulb lol.

It has been sitting for two years, oil in it looks brand new, one issue is the clutch pedal has no tightness to it at all. I didn't crawl up and look but it is loose as can be. And the truck doesn't move an inch even in neutral and the E-brake off.

The verdict. Pics to come. Guys asking $400 for it but I think I could talk him down to at least $300. What do you guys think? Also is it the 4.3 rear end like my 620? I don't want another parkway screamer lol.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He bought a new Toyota pickup and just quit using it.

So they say. They also say ran when parked.... but for $400 that not bad either way.

The disc brake rotors rust and they are difficult to get rolling, that's all.

The clutch hydraulic fluid probably leaked out/seals are rotted/master or slave or both no good. May only need to be topped up and bled. Again either way cheap easy fix.

The '82 2wd 4 speed came with 3.889 differential gears but YOU can check this yourself next time you are there. Look below the pass side hood hinge on the inner fender for the engine tag. Lower line says...

TRANS/AXLE......... F4W71B........ HF38

38 is 3.889, 41 would be 4.11, 43 is 4.375.... and so on.

Alright guys got her home yesterday $300 cash, sorry my dads shop is so dark.

IMG_2894_zpswfkvgi6v.jpg

Can really see the long bed profile here, although it doesn't seem very long. Is that what the "HEAVY DUTY" badge means on the back? that its a long bed?

IMG_2895_zpsydab4xks.jpg

IMG_2898_zpsbstssnx7.jpg

The bed has most of the rot, although from what I've seen so far it has much less than my 620. Heres the original badge at the rear for the dealer in Madisonville.

IMG_2897_zps4yjpncwg.jpg

and more pics of the bed...

IMG_2899_zpsctf92tvo.jpg

IMG_2896_zpscj6fgpa0.jpg

and the Z22 engine, cleaned the carb a bit and poured some octane booster and seafoam in the gas tank. Sprayed some cleaner and it started right up. Had to hold the choke a little more closed than the heater was wanting it to set, and it has vacuum leaks galore, we found many but sadly a lot of the tiny nipples for lines are broken off so there is a vacuum leak hole. Plus the PO wired in these horrific looking lights under the bumper that are jury rigged and wired with twist on connectors...

But i have a tune up kit on the way, plugs wires, fuel filter, clutch slave and master, hopefully i can get her moving. the master is toast there is dried fluid all over the clutch pedal and firewall. Slave is the most rusty thing on the truck so i went ahead and got one too. oh, and that ID plate say 43.. so have another highway screamer lol.

Anything else i should know about the truck? anything i should check and fix before anything else?

Okay so further inspection both ends of the clutch piping are knurled round and corroded... are there possible replacements? I know Z car Depot has the bendable lines but i think they only go to 40" and something tells me the way this thing loops around the firewall and down its longer than that.