240z head gasket

gmkeegan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you will have to move the console forward or bend the shifter (easy enough to do) Maybe put the shifter on backwards

to me the dist is correct.with in timming adjustment

on the cam sprocket just make sure you turned the crank clock wise up to the Zero point then check the cam timming. Dont counterclockwise as youll induce slack on the tight side chain.

break all the bolts loose first then set back up to TDC and remove head ect......

I saw autohausAZ had tsubaki timming chains. at least for a L16 and that should be the same

hey guys need your help so today i took off the head only to find out that the gasket had no crack in it.. i checked the walls nothing and i check the head and couldn't find anything.... anyone have any idea on whats going on??? only thing i can think of is a warped head.. thanks 

about to do a head gasket on my 240z. does anyone want to tell me something to look out for before starting ? i hear getting the timing chain back on is a bitch but besides that anything ?  also does anyone have a forum about this already ? thanks in advance 

Don't fix what ain't broken.

no i didn't open the throttle but regardless the head gasket is blown 100% there is coolant pouring out of cylinder four. 

How are you determining that there is coolant in the #4 cylinder if the head is on?

How are you determining that there is coolant in the #4 cylinder if the head is on?

e1_zpsaguvxt5b.jpeg

e2_zpsxlna3czp.jpeg

e4_zpsxvymg5iq.jpeg

e5_zpsvenmsswg.jpeg

ok so about a week ago i went to go start my car.. after i turned the key it turns over for a second and then stops.... i think dry locked right away..  so first thing i thought of was maybe there is something stopping the motor from spinning... so i look in the front of it nothing so next thing i did was take the spark plugs out so there no compression stroke. 1 dry 2 dry 3 dry 4 milky wet pudding like.. 5 dry 6 dry. so i go back into the car turn the key and coolent/water comes flying out like a super soaker.. 4-5 feet. so i get a friend to come over turn it over 10-15 times while i put my finger over the spark plug water and coolant pouring out with my finger over the hole non stop. so i pull the head and see that cylinder 4 is clean as shit since i was probably running it and steam cleaning the inside while i was trying to get it tuned. and if you look at the picture there is mass amounts of carbon build up on everyone but that one so i know the coolant/water is running down into it i just dont know how?? the head gasket looks good and the head looks good and luckly at TDC number 4 is all the way down and there's nothing on the walls of the cylinder so i have no idea. oh and while un torquing the head they were are tight so its not that either..

There is a coolant by pass hose and lines from the thermostat housing to just behind both SUs on the intake manifolds, then around the head at the back and forward to the lower rad hose inlet on the timing cover. If there was a leak, it could easily run down or be sucked into the intake port. It wouldn't show as a bad head gasket.

• Like 1