Numbers matching

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is matching...but it's not a Dodge.

There will not be a significant increase in value because a Datsun has its original engine. It's a Datsun.

A Datsun that runs and drives with an excellent, recent service history is what should command the market.

• Like 3

This term 'numbers matching' is originally a Chevrolet term to denote a vehicle ( ie. Corvette ) which has the same VIN stamped on the engine block and on the car body. On a Dodge, unlike a Chevy, the engine size displacement is identified in the VIN by the fifth digit, for example 'U' in 1970 for a 440ci engine. Having no engine size call-out in the vin of GM cars accounts for the difficulty in identifying a true big-block engine car, and why so many have been frauded. The matching numbers term was not applied to Mopars prior to the mid/ late 80's when the Chevy car dealers jumped on the bandwagon and started trading in Mopars also. Up until that point, in the Mopar world, a car either did, or did not have it's original engine block. Car dealers and vendors love this term because they feel, rightly or wrongly, that it adds value to a vehicle.

• Like 2

This term 'numbers matching' is originally a Chevrolet term to denote a vehicle ( ie. Corvette ) which has the same VIN stamped on the engine block and on the car body. On a Dodge, unlike a Chevy, the engine size displacement is identified in the VIN by the fifth digit, for example 'U' in 1970 for a 440ci engine. Having no engine size call-out in the vin of GM cars accounts for the difficulty in identifying a true big-block engine car, and why so many have been frauded. The matching numbers term was not applied to Mopars prior to the mid/ late 80's when the Chevy car dealers jumped on the bandwagon and started trading in Mopars also. Up until that point, in the Mopar world, a car either did, or did not have it's original engine block. Car dealers and vendors love this term because they feel, rightly or wrongly, that it adds value to a vehicle.

That ^

• Like 1

The only number that actually matches or may not match is the engine number to the engine tag. Big deal. Numbers matching to me (and by no means do I think it's important, although others might) means it has the correct year parts in it. It's very common to have a member post pictures of their truck and I look it over to see what's been swapped on. It's like being a detective looking for clues. As the years and mile pile on, more and more parts need changing and the beauty of a Datsun is the interchangeability of many of the parts.

My 78 620 had...

Plymouth Reliant K car 90 amp alternator

280zx transmission

'79 200sx rad

'79 dstributor

'82 720 long bed frame

'80 (something) transfer case

'82 4.11 differential

GM van slip joint driveshaft.

KA oil pump

Ford F-150 leaf springs

and so much more there isn't room.

• Like 1

The only number that actually matches or may not match is the engine number to the engine tag. Big deal. Numbers matching to me (and by no means do I think it's important, although others might) means it has the correct year parts in it. It's very common to have a member post pictures of their truck and I look it over to see what's been swapped on. It's like being a detective looking for clues. As the years and mile pile on, more and more parts need changing and the beauty of a Datsun is the interchangeability of many of the parts.

My 78 620 had...

Plymouth Reliant K car 90 amp alternator

280zx transmission

'79 200sx rad

'79 dstributor

'82 720 long bed frame

'80 (something) transfer case

'82 4.11 differential

GM van slip joint driveshaft.

KA oil pump

Ford F-150 leaf springs

and so much more there isn't room.

Enthusiast

• Like 1

My car was a one (registered) owner barn find. It was only on the road for 15 years then parked in 1984.

I've got the numbers matching engine sitting on the garage floor. It's a good engine, just lots of rust in the coolant passages from sitting so long. No amount of flushing would cure it.. I'll hang on to it but I don't think it adds anything to the value of the car. People would much rather see an L20b with side drafts or a KA/SR under the hood.

That $45k 510 that just sold had an SR. Would not come close to that price with the stock engine. 

My car was a one (registered) owner barn find. It was only on the road for 15 years then parked. 

• Like 1

I drive numbers matching 620. I'm staring 100k (probably more like 200 with the condition the seat was in) in the face and trying to hit it this year but I think I have 9k left. Lots of blow by, oil comes out the exhaust even. But she drives. When I pull the engine it'll be sat in a corner just because it was original to my truck. Sentimental value not monetary value in that engine

My car was a one (registered) owner barn find. It was only on the road for 15 years then parked in 1984.

I've got the numbers matching engine sitting on the garage floor. It's a good engine, just lots of rust in the coolant passages from sitting so long. No amount of flushing would cure it.. I'll hang on to it but I don't think it adds anything to the value of the car. People would much rather see an L20b with side drafts or a KA/SR under the hood.

That $45k 510 that just sold had an SR. Would not come close to that price with the stock engine. 

My car was a one (registered) owner barn find. It was only on the road for 15 years then parked. 

So let me see if I got this right, your car is 3 owner, found in a field after 22 years of sitting?