Headlight retaining ring - where can I find one?

Eomund

So I was working on my headlight swap to halogen.

While pulling everything apart, I found one of my retaining rings is badly broken.

I can't seem to find the bloody thing. Any parts available that match ours? If not, what's the,usual solution to replace these?

• Like 1
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

both are actually the same. It was the low beam that was broken, and I swapped it with the high beam, just in case it,rattles the light dead, I'd rather it be the high.

This was more an information gathering thread than a 'wtb'. Seeing if the bezzel is the same as like a 65 Nova or something.

As far as the 'inner' and 'outer', per carpartsmanual.com, on the late model 521, they're the same part number.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1965-1972/electrical-common/front-parking-turn-signal-lamps/dual-(from-may-68)

It's on the fiche as part #9. Same for both.

I did notice the 510 has a different part number, but they do use the same headlight, and per the ebay photo, they look identical. For $20 for 4, I'll give it a shot. I'll post up whether they're the same or not.

As far as the 'inner' and 'outer', per carpartsmanual.com, on the late model 521, they're the same part number.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1965-1972/electrical-common/front-parking-turn-signal-lamps/dual-(from-may-68)

It's on the fiche as part #9. Same for both.

They may very well swap but the numbers are 26023-14000 outer and 26025-14000 for the inner. They are not the same as the 510, they may be similar and they may fit.

These are Nissan part numbers not some 'on line parts manual'. (and also incorrect) If Nissan has two different numbers then they are two different parts in some way. I didn't say they wouldn't fit, only that they are not the same. Just because parts will interchange does not make them the 'same,' only interchangeable.

All PL510, 521, 620, 610, 710 headlamps are 5.75" so it's reasonable to assume some retaining rings will work on other vehicles.

Just looked it up. The part numbers your giving are for 66-68 http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1965-1972/electrical-common/front-parking-turn-signal-lamps/dual-(to-apr-68)the ones I'm referencing are 68-72. I have a 72.

The site gives the Nissan part numbers along with the original microphiche images.

And hey, if the 510 retainers don't work, maybe I can sell them on.

Nah. Truck had a front end impact at some Point in its life. If I had my guess, it prolly got a bit mangled, and instead of fixing it right, the cut a big o'l section out of it.

So fixing this one would require some fab work.

I'll check but thought they were for the 521. Weren't the '66-'68 single lamp?

I don't think so.If I'm not mistaken, they moved to dual headlights on the 520 in the 66 model. Might need to fact check that.

In fact, there's a 520 w/ dual headlamps here in town rotting that the old bastard owner won't sell. (Been sitting for 17 years, guy's a horder).

I have ordered the 510 retainers. I'll let you guys know if they work or not. And if not, I'll prolly be selling them :p

Correct. October '66 went to dual 5.75" lamps.

Aha, found them (on a second page) my mistake. May '68 and on were #26023-78502 for all four.

The 510 were a different number but they also are all four the same. However it looks like from the diagram that the three mounting screws are equally spaced at 120 degrees apart. The 520/521 are not. I hope I'm wrong again and these fit. :lol:

I had a 521 in the mid 70s and a local auto supply had a couple of halogen 5.75" lamps that they discounted because they didn't sell. Wow halogen vs. tungston? Night and day. Now it's halogen vs. xenon or HID.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an update on the headlight ring debacle. I can say the rings I received are indeed different than the original headlight rings. BUT, they still worked perfectly.

The original (broken) ring

0519161830.jpg

The new ring

0519161830a.jpg

The rings on top showing they line up.

0519161831.jpg

I didn't get a picture of it installed, (maybe later). But the holes line up perfectly. Now Ima keep the other 3 for spares :)

• Like 1