Nissan/Datsun SAS information

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this is appropriate, but I thought I'd share a magazine feature on a truck I built last year. No, it's not a Datsun, but it is a 4x4.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1611-1987-bj74-land-cruiser-built-to-be-even-more-unique/

Enjoy!

Thats awesome, my dad has a copy of a magazine with a Chevelle he helped build when he was like 16 or something he saw it at a show a few weeks ago. I'm taking a break from the datsun right now reevaluating some stuff like what box I want to use. I f-ed up my spring mounts. The truck is on the ground and ride height looks great BUT it was just a smidge off when I measured and the spring mounts need to be cut off and put on about a half inch farther. Currently the springs slope inwards to the frame and I'm not going to drive on that. My lower links look good haven't hooked the tops up yet I love the adjustability of the links, but only time will tell if they are up to the task of bearing a truck on them at all times. I believe they'll be fine since they have a panhard bar, springs, shocks, and 2 upper trailing arms all taking weight. Plus they're forged what could go wrong? Lol I'm going to hopefully pick up a Subaru loyale tomorrow, I've been without 4wd for too long so I need a secondary adventure vehicle to keep me from rushing the truck. It's not over just going to go over a couple things with it before I ruin it. Last few weeks have been frustrating and I noticed myself starting to rush with stupid things. I want it done and driving but I want it safe too and done right. Or at least as right as a group of 19 year olds can make a custom truck like this.

• Like 1

20161103_180438_zpsk6gwocil.jpg

I kept looking at the picture like... something's wrong with that bolt, and realized that's before I actually bolted the lower arms to the frame. I used an existing hole in the frame just drilled all the way through used grade 8 9/16 bolts and lock washers and lock nuts and flat washers. I don't see it coming off I favorited this over a bracket coming down because I believe straight to the frame is stronger. Another thing I will be looking at as I check over what I'm going to do in the next few weeks or so. As it sits I like them

fa40c107-89fe-47d9-865c-3f454096fe4d_zps

no jacks on the ground

• Like 1

You can easily take some measurements and plug them into a calculator to see how things look on a graph.

I use this simple calculator - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiBkYSUkqbQAhUK5CYKHfxbBVAQFggoMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crawlpedia.com%2Ffiles%2F3_link_calculator.xls&usg=AFQjCNHN_EZNRzlg9W6f_fbGJxdjEz9fEg&sig2=ncxse_KHmgQHWVyuQhdwew&bvm=bv.138493631,d.eWE&cad=rja

From the pics you provided, it looks like the upper and lower links are going to be very steep. Getting them flatter to the ground will offer better dynamic characteristics. Weird things can happen when the links are pointing up at the sky.

Also, is that what you're using for a lower control arm? I'd re-think that. Try buying tubing couplers from someone like Part Mike or Ruffstuff and weld them into some DOM tubing. Cheap and easy.