38MM roadster SU's on an l-16 or l-18?

fisch

I know it can be done if you have the l-series SU manifold, but the linkage will be incorrect? So I have read about it, but does anyone have photos of linkage options.

What I have:

-38mm 1600 roadster SUs (From Manifold to filterbox)

-L-series 4-cylinder SSS K-14 manifold

-L-series 4-cylinder SU stock linkage (New in bag)

I know I'd have to re-do the filter box holes if I wanted to run the roadster filterbox.

Other option, clean up the Roadster stuff, Sell it and put it towards some real L-series 38mm. You can sometimes get a good deal on them still. But how much better off would that put me than what is sitting in front of me?

Roadster set-up

IMG_5776%201.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be able to adapt the linkage if you have some fab skills and tools. You'll end up with a throttle cable instead of linkage. I had Roadster 46s on my 610 with a K14 manifold at one point. Had to modify the U20 linkage and convert to a throttle cable, but it was all good. Also modified the U20 air box to work also. If you have time and no money, then you mod it. If you have plenty of money and no time, pay somebody else to do it!

• Like 1

I wonder if this is the same thing that had to be done to run 46MM Z su's on my LZ22. It was converted to cable. But it was done by the previous owner.

1025095005_AJoPv-X3.jpg

That set up doesn't look like it has the cable drum that the R16 & U20 used plus the filter is not from a roadster, maybe a Z? Roadsters had open element filters where I think Zs had m in a box?. The cable drum drives the linkage to the throttle plates. All kinds of ways to make SUs work, you just pretty much have to fab it. Only if this sht could be 'plug n play ' :confused:

If you look at the bolt pattern where the Roadster carbs mount to the intake, it's different than the L-series version. One carb matches up, the other is 90 degrees out. So one side will need an adapter fabbed.

Ohhh this i hadn't thought of. I knew the fuel bowls were mirror on the L-series, but didn't think about the intake flanges. Well at this point it seems smarter to sell these carbs and put it toward L-series 38's. Sure I could make it work, but probably for not too much more than the sale price for this set-up I could get what is designed to work. Especially because I only need to buy the carbs since I have the K14 intake and linkage.