My First Datsun - 1972 510 Goon

Hi Ratsun

Long time lurker hear. I've been wanting a Datsun for a couple years now but either couldn't afford it or had no place to keep it. About 6 months ago the planets finally aligned and I had both the means and space for a project so I started the search.

April 21 2016 10pm

Me and a buddy borrowed a truck from a friend and hit the road headed for Las Angeles, about 7 hours from home.

April 22 2016 11am

Arrived at the sellers house to pick up my new Datsun!

She's a bit rough but I was looking for a Ratsun/project.

20160424_110901.jpg

Loaded her up and hit the road for home.

20160424_125704.jpg

20160424_125646.jpg

About 10 hours later we were home. There was a little work to be done getting her running so we left her at my buddies house.

20160430_155325.jpg

April 30th 2016

We had some work to do to get her running. PO had replaced the head, timing chain, guides, and gaskets. He said the parts store sold him the wrong water pump so he couldn't finish assembly. After 7 hours on the road I wasn't about to let that stop me so I took her as is. It took me a fiew tries at the parts store but I finally got the correct water pump and we reassembled the car.

After a couple hours we had her running...... Barely. She would start but wouldn't idle. To make a long story short we chased wires and looked for vacuum leaks for a fiew more hours. Then while checking the bolts holding the carb on we heard a pop.......Cracked the carb adapter plate....damnit!

20160430_155126.jpg

And that's where we are now. Waiting for a new adapter plate.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your title misspelling is a pun? Could be.

I think this goon was posted up on the Craislist thread a bit ago. Glad it found its way to Ratsun. Welcome! Great first post. Show us the inside when you can.

L20B? 16?

Ha, I didn't even notice the misspelling. I seriously sat here for like 5 minutes saying to myself, what misspelling......

No shots of the interior at this time but I will snap some the next time I am there.

It's an L20B with a Webber 32/36.

download_20160422_185655.jpg

The core support is seriously mangled. You can see it in this pic.

20160430_155302.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is the hood scoop needed?  That 32/36 typically fits under the hood.  It does work with the Rad thing though.  Looks like a Yellow Goon Originally.  What are your plans?  You thinking of seeing whats under the rattle can?  It's got a great stance right now.  And shoes.  

• 2 weeks later...

Damn that's a sweet car...

looks clean! congrats!

Well, you misspelled Los Angeles too, but who's counting?

Looks like a very cool car and a fun project.

Welcome to Ratsun!

Thanks for the compliments! Yeah I am a terrible speller.

Is the hood scoop needed? That 32/36 typically fits under the hood. It does work with the Rad thing though. Looks like a Yellow Goon Originally. What are your plans? You thinking of seeing whats under the rattle can? It's got a great stance right now. And shoes.

No the scoop isn't needed or functional. I've already removed it. The hood is totally destroyed though. Hinge mount area is gone along with the hood latch. I'm running without a hood until I can get a replacement.

I kinda like the rattle can ratsun look as it is. I'm pretty happy with the stance and the shoes but I need to get the rear fenders rolled. I have installed a set of air shocks to help with that also.

you can get the 1.75 inch aircleaner if the weber hits the hood on L20s running the taller 1 pc carb adapters.(Those never crack)

I'll have to pick one of those up. Thanks for the tip.

And now for some pics.

20160514_182042.jpg

Hood scoop gone

20160514_181958.jpg

Passenger side

20160514_181912.jpg

20160514_181918.jpg

Cargo

20160514_181842.jpg

Driver side

Immediate plans include

Get it running properly. PO replaced the head and but something is not right. Could be timing could be an intake/exhaust leak. I purchased a complete gasket kit and will be taking it apart soon.

Install some gauges so I have an idea of what's going on in there.

Role the fenders so tires don't rub. Flares and wider wheels eventually.

Replace the seats. The current ones are totally worn out and uncomfortable.

Replace broken/missing dash parts or build custom one.

Thanks again for the compliments.