fwd sr20det into rwd 82 210 sedan?

Some back story since Im pretty new here. I got a 82 B310 (210) 2 door sedan with the (blown) original engine. Im wanting to do a ka24de or sr20det swap with it and as my screen name suggests it isnt nice at all. Ive done some research into taking a fwd powerplant and using it in a rwd application. Most people I have seen talking about it say it is a waste of time and money but my deal is this. I have a first gen rx7 that i have listed for 2k or trade for sr20det. Some guy is trying to trade me his 96 sentra straight up with a decently built sr (says its got a jim wolf ecu and tune) and that its making 270whp. I have a grand in the mazda. Would it be worth, monetarily speaking, Converting the fwd? Or is this even an option? Any and all advice is appreciated as this will be my first FULL build on any vehicle. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FWD MOTORS

Can you put an SR20DE from a FWD car in your RWD Datsun? YES, it's been done.

But it is much more work to start with a FWD motor, and you can buy complete good tested RWD SR20s with 5-speed and all wiring/computer/sensors/accessories for under $2000. Everywhere in the USA they are shipped, so there is no need to have to resort to junkyard FWD motors. You will still need a SR RWD transmission, flywheel, and clutch.

But let's say grandma gives you her old Sentra SE and the SR20 is there for the taking. What does it take to use in a RWD Datsun?

North-south SRs typically have:

* valve cover breather pointing straight back

* distributor on the back of the head

* throttle body facing back

* center exhaust outlet

* different engine mounts

* different transmission bolt pattern

* different flywheel & clutch

* different starters & ring gear

FWD Nissan Sentra SR20DE

250px-Nissan_SR20DET_U13.jpg

* Valve cover: Swap it with RWD version possibly, OR drill and move the breather fittings.

* Distributor on FWD is on the back of the head, so it won't fit in an RWD engine bay. Solution: Convert to crank trigger ignition. Or cut a hole in the firewall as some racers do. Or swap the head for a RWD head.

* Intake manifold & throttle body. FWD SRs (and Nissan Van/Vanette) have rear-facing manifolds so they will hit the firewall. Solution: Swap manifold and throttle body.

* Engine mounts: Most of the motor mount bolt holes on the RWD are present on the FWD block. AWD block are different yet again.

* Flywheel/clutch. Get one from a RWD import motor

* Starter FWD starter bolts through the block and transmission, the RWD starter bolts to the transmission. Solution: cut the starter mount pad out of the FWD block, weld a tab for the 2nd bolt

* Transmission: Get a SR RWD gearbox. Most of the Bell-pattern bolts line up. The bolt spacing for the top two bolts is 150mm (6") on FWD and 200mm (8") on RWD

* oil pan: Depending on the car you are fitting in in, the FWD pan might work. If you need a front sump, fit the RWD upper oil pan

Note that SR20DET imports have no distributor, instead they use coil packs. Still, an import FWD SR20DET might use a small "distributor" (really just a CAS sensor) on the back of the head.

Starter mod for FWD motor in RWD car

th_sr20rwdtransfwdblockmod.jpg

Alternatively, with Silvia gearbox and the SR20VE (FWD), take RWD flywheel, machine the lip away between block and ring gear, and use the FWD starter. Then get a SR20DE Pressure Plate fitted to the RWD flywheel.

Note about head swaps: Some RWD block/head has extra oil hole where FWD block/head does not. Proceed with caution.

And then you still have to swap the motor into the car. If you started with a RWD SR, the work above is not needed.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I just needed the real time advice. Somebody to talk me down from the ledge so to speak lol Ive had this car for a couple months and havent started a thread because Im waiting to find the drivetrain. Im getting a little antsy lol 

No its the whole car with the A14? I think it was. He put a 5 speed in it though. It is in pretty rough shape. Lots of rust and blown shocks. Bent rods. He said. Crap interior. $800 and idk if thats even a decent deal but It touched me in my fizzy parts... 

No its the whole car with the A14? I think it was. He put a 5 speed in it though. It is in pretty rough shape. Lots of rust and blown shocks. Bent rods. He said. Crap interior. $800 and idk if thats even a decent deal but It touched me in my fizzy parts...

Aint no thing, man.

All can be fixed. You could be driving the thing as soon as the RockAuto package shows up.

Does it run now? Do you drive it?

Aint no thing, man.

All can be fixed. You could be driving the thing as soon as the RockAuto package shows up.

Does it run now? Do you drive it?

Ive never heard it run. He said the last time he found bent rods was like the third time. I toyed with the notion of rebuilding it as is but Im pretty budget limited and if Im going to rebuild I would prefer to make more than 80hp when its done lol 

I think you give my mechanical skill to much credit... Newb here man.

But you were going to convert it to RWD????????

SR20 FWD... all you have to do is gut the front of the 210 and hang it on the SR/transmission. Now about that Sentra... they don't make 270 hp. At least not in this universe. Here they make less that 150.

SR20 FWD... all you have to do is gut the front of the 210 and hang it on the SR/transmission. Now about that Sentra... they don't make 270 hp. At least not in this universe. Here they make less that 150.

I have ridden in 300hp Sentras. They were mean. 

Dont judge me... Im getting all antsy in my pantsies to have this thing making power and on the road  :rofl:

Then you should find a good A14/A15, swap it in, and then spend your money on brakes and suspension.   B)

I had trouble finding one of those though. And I have looked but havent had any luck.

I had trouble finding one of those though. And I have looked but havent had any luck.

1980 A14, Strange Auto Parts & Salvage. White-Pine, TN 1-800-445-2091 (58 miles away)

1982 A14, Tri-City Auto Parts, Bluff-City, TN 1-800-576-5231 (66 miles away)

1982 A14, Smith Motors, Belton, SC 1-800-334-6752 (71 miles away)

1981 A14, Fannin Salvage, Blue-Ridge, GA  1-706-632-2814 (110 miles away)

Couldn't find an A15 within 400 miles. 

1980 A14, Strange Auto Parts & Salvage. White-Pine, TN 1-800-445-2091 (58 miles away)

1982 A14, Tri-City Auto Parts, Bluff-City, TN 1-800-576-5231 (66 miles away)

1982 A14, Smith Motors, Belton, SC 1-800-334-6752 (71 miles away)

1981 A14, Fannin Salvage, Blue-Ridge, GA  1-706-632-2814 (110 miles away)

Couldn't find an A15 within 400 miles. 

do you know off hand if mine would be an a14 or 15?