Holy rattle can!

Dick222

So i got some new seats at the yard by my house for $22! What a steal. They came out of an isuzu pup space cab. I like the tweed look and the color was right. A little modifying and they fit just fine.

The real project is removing all the layers of old rattle can. I used "goof off " graffiti remover, a plastic putty knife,and a green scrubby. Alot of elbow grease and the excitement of the treasure hunt as the po obviously did some sanding and fixing. I'm not sure how long this might take,but this much took a couple hours. 20160501_201106_zpsqzjgov3q.jpg20160501_200406_zpsty6gy4e1.jpg20160501_191436_zpsclczndqz.jpg20160501_182403_zpsdxxuksav.jpg20160501_182336_zpsdab4l4bu.jpg20160501_132545_zpshvncgyuw.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx lockleaf

I searched 100s of cars. I just like the look of these the best. Needed inch and a half spacers to adjust for fitting. They would fit just a tad bit better if the seat belt mechanism was smaller. Any ideas? Is there a compatible seat belt?

• Like 1

If you could anchor the seat belt to the seat frame, it would move with the seat and not cause an issue. That's how modern cars are usually done. Not sure what kind of effort that might take. Although I'm planning just such an adventure on my 510. I just finished installing some 720 seats in it. They adjust a good 8 inches or so, so I would prefer it just move with the seat. If Nissan hasn't changed their seatbelt head design, maybe you could junkyard some from a 90s Nissan?

That is all pure speculation.

• Like 1

While I like a "money is no object" project, I enjoy a low budget project more. I guess cause I'm naturally cheap I identify more with something done with Pull n Save parts. Sooner or later there will be 620s at P&S again.

I may have a '79 grill in my accumulation. I remember grabbing parts off a 620 that was going to be hauled for scrap. I didn't have time to get much and there weren't a lot of decent parts anyway. It had front disc brakes and it bothered me I didn't have time to grab all the brake parts. So I'm thinking it was a '79. PM me if you have any interest and I'll try to find it. I think I saw it recently - somewhere. But you obviously need a fender more than a grill.

I usually really hate sunroofs, but for some reason I kind of like yours. I guess since it is already there, learn to love it.

Len

The exposed metal will only get some surface rust.. but if u want it painted over and still have that patina look.. get that rustoleum that protects from rust.. it's a brownish red color.. u can get it at home depot.. so wut u do Is mask around the metal.. go about 2 inches out.. in a square figure... put like 3 coats of it.. once it drys(I would wait till the next day) u want to wet sand it with either 400 grit or 500 grit wet sand paper.. just sand the edges down till they are flush with the paint on the body n maybe give it a Lil bit of a sand in the center.. it'll make it look old and it will go with the color of ur truck as is..

Or dunk all the panels and electro plate them in gold. It'll only attach to the exposed metal and gold won't corrode.

This is obviously the right solution.

Also, sanding down the masked paint without going through the paint surrounding it is frustrating as fuck. Feathering without masking then sanding lightly till you are close to the area you were going to mask is possibly easier. Both are kinda asking my for trouble though. Once I find metal, I bail on the patina look myself. But I live in a corrosive environment that won't just surface rust.