LZ22 dying after fast idle (or sooner)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

71Hustler, ever considered pertronix or matchbox dizzy?

Yep, I'm on it! Hope to switch to one or the other very soon.

Kicking myself for not checking the points better, but they looked fine and were only about a year old. At least I learned how to rebuild a carb in the process. :P

One of the books I have said to check points every 6 mos or so or when car is not running right. I think the other reason why people went electronic is because their points would burn out and setting dual points is a pain in the butt.  Other than the wires getting eaten up by the rotor I've had pertronix for like 12 years and no issue.  They also went down in price. Yep, the fun part about our cars is that you learn new things and most of the time it is frustrating.  One time I thought it was my fuel delivery and it was my rotor (dist).  Somehow the fitting was very loose and did not make contact hence the car would intermittently start and die.  Maybe you have  a JY by your place and can find a matchbox dizzy for your truck.

If you do go with pertronix, you have to get a single point dist. 68-69 Datsun 510, dual points will not work.  Autozone or Oreilly's sells them for like $100 then pertronix set up is about $100 but saw one today at Ebay for like $70.  Then it's recommended you get hi voltage coil about $30.