My Project 520

FunkyFresh520

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7698&gclid=CNnhhOz9htECFYdsfgodSAQBHw

Literally on the first line of results on Google. Took about 1.5 seconds to type "720 leaf springs". It took you more time to tell me you don't have time to search than it actually took to search. It's amazing how much one can accomplish just by trying.

• Like 1
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7698&gclid=CNnhhOz9htECFYdsfgodSAQBHw

Literally on the first line of results on Google. Took about 1.5 seconds to type "720 leaf springs". It took you more time to tell me you don't have time to search than it actually took to search. It's amazing how much one can accomplish just by trying.

As far as I can tell these leafs in the link are not the 4X4 leafs he needs, he needs 4X4 leafs to lower his truck instead of removing leafs from his 520 leaf pack.

Removing leafs from OEM leaf packs makes them weaker which is exactly what you don't want to do, when going lower you want your leaf pack to be firmer, that way it doesn't bottom out as easily, removing leafs makes the less firm and subject to bottoming out easier and axle wrap.

EDIT

The picture in the ad is wrong, must be generic picture, leaf number and type in description sounds correct, I didn't get past the picture when I posted my response above, I am starting to skim too much like others on here, need to alter this type of behavior.

• Like 1

Title of ad states 85 Nissan pickup 4wd. Seems like the correct ones to me. Unless there are multiple versions of those or the ad itself is wrong.

OK I might have screwed up, been doing that more and more lately, I looked at the picture and seen to many leafs in the pack, maybe generic picture.

I suppose one can only take a chance that they are the right ones despite the picture, only 2 arched leafs in a 720 4X4 leaf pack, obviously I didn't read the description. 

• Like 1

Those would likely work, but they are not exactly what Wayno was talking about.

The 4x4 version of the 720 actually uses flatter and stiffer springs than any of the 2wd trucks. We are talking about factory stock 720 4wd leaf springs. They will bolt right in, lower your truck, and increase stiffness.

I'm not aware of anyone on here who has used those belltech lowering leafs, so not sure if anyone who can give you an opinion on how well they work.

• Like 1

Thats what i figured the theory was... with the weight of these trucks would you even see much of a drop? Doesn't seem like you would gain much by doing that... one benefit i guess would gaining a little more ground clearance to the bottom of the plate that attaches the u bolts and shocks. Just curious.

• Like 1

I don't like editing, if I screw up I don't want to hide it, but I now wish I had not said anything.

The 4X4 leafs from a Datsun/Nissan 4X4 were a one and a half inch drop on my 520, but my 520 is on a 1986 720 2wd frame, they were bolt in for the most part except for the bushings, and they are usually around $100.00 around here or cheaper on a holiday(half price), you know what your getting for the most part when you go this route.

The first link is for 4X4 leafs that the description seems to be correct, it has 2 arched leafs and 2 overload leafs, that is what the stock Datsun/Nissan 4X4s have, so I expect that you would get the one and a half inch drop that a OEM Datsun/Nissan 4X4 leaf would have, maybe a little less since the parts are new.

The Belltech lowering leafs with the 4 inch drop from carparts is likely for a stock 2wd 720, I don't know how much these leafs would drop your 520 compared to your 520 leafs, I suspect it is close to a 4 inch drop on a 720 2wd.

I did some measuring as I have all the leafs in my back yard we are talking about here except the belltech drop leafs, I did some un-sprung measuring,

the 4X4 720 leaf with a straight edge sitting on top of the leaf eyes measuring down to the mount surface of the leaf was 5 1/8th inches

the 720 2wd leaf measured the same was 7 3/4s inches

the 520/521 leaf measured the same was 6 1/8th inches

I actually have a set of 620 mobile home leafs also, they measure out 3 7/8ths inches

These are used leaf springs with no weight on them, if one was to take off 4 inches off of all these measurement except for the 720 4X4 leaf set which is a known one and one half inch drop it would measure out to,

4X4 720 leaf known drop is 1 1/2 inches with a 5 1/8th inch arch, these leafs are firmer than the 2wd leafs and in my opinion work the best with drop blocks.

2wd 720 leaf minis 4 inches works out to 3 3/4 inch arch, it will sag more than the 4X4 leafs as they are firmer than the 2wd leafs.

2wd 520/521 leaf minis 4 inches works out to 2 1/8th inch arch, but I believe that this leaf will sag the least under weight as it has more arched leafs(5 leafs).

If the spring rate is the same as stock OEM, I expect that the 720 2wd belltech lowering leafs will drop your truck the most, but you will likely be resting on the bump stops, they can be cut or removed but as these leafs are 2wd I suspect you will bottom out a lot unless they have stiffened them up.

The 4X4 leafs used with drop blocks can be dialed in to where you bottom out the least using the drop blocks that get you the most drop without hitting the frame.

Taking leafs out of your 520 leaf pack will lower the truck, but it will bottom out easier, if you are a dump the clutch type driver the axle will twist/flex the leafs(axle wrap), with a one piece drive line there is the chance of making the drive line wobble when one slams 2nd/3rd gear and the rear of the transmission case could come apart/destroy itself because the drive line gets pulled out of the rear of the transmission enough from axle wrap to have it wobble/get out of balance, this has happened to people on this forum.

Those with 2 piece drive lines talk about the axle twisting and hitting stuff on the under side of the vehicle when lowered, also when you burn out axle wrap can make the rear axle hop(wheel hop) which is why traction bars were invented for muscle cars.

In my opinion Datsun/Nissan 720 4X4 leafs with drop blocks are the way to go, you will get the best driver friendly result, but it is my opinion.

Using 4 inch drop blocks on your stock leafs will also get you low, but 4 inches is the ragged edge, as getting a flat in the rear could have the lower shock mount drag on the ground.

I went to the extreme to lower my 520, I have 4X4 leafs, 2 inch drop blocks and a wedge to correct drive line angle, I raised the carrier cross member, raised the front leaf mount, used the early Datsun Roadster rear leaf mount, I used early 510 wagon lower shock/leaf mounts, and I notched the frame, I re-indexed the front torsion bars and made front drop arms, it got me real low, so low I had to raise it to get in my driveway, I also had to re-route my exhaust above the cross members, it was a lot of work to do all this, but it is safe as I can get a flat and not drag anything on all 4 corners.

Here is my 520 build thread that has most these mods.

http://www.nwdatsuns.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=105

• Like 1

Did you look? Its an auction business. They sell mostly wrecked insurance owned vehicles but also sell clean titled vehicles for anyone who pays their fees

Yea but im not tryna buy a car i dont have space for that.. little update my trucks not running because my accel. cable gave out. So i bought a new one and also bought a hood release cable, kyb shocks, and this
  • Like 1

Hi Funky fresh

I bought springs thru a local dealer from these guys...they were for a Chevy tho...

Quality seemed ok from them...

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7698&gclid=CKLI8IPYl9ECFQZMDQodLLQAWA

I dont keep stuff long enough to tell you how they lasted tho...sorry

good luck with your search...

MikeC

• Like 1

Hi Funky fresh

I bought springs thru a local dealer from these guys...they were for a Chevy tho...

Quality seemed ok from them...

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7698&gclid=CKLI8IPYl9ECFQZMDQodLLQAWA

I dont keep stuff long enough to tell you how they lasted tho...sorry

good luck with your search...

MikeC

I want the 4x4 720s tho because of the drop they give you

• Like 1

Yea so that just takes me back to square one finding one at a junk yard or on here.. i just want 4x4 leaf springs lol

The "Ecology" auto wrecking yard in Wilmiington is the most likely source of what you are looking for.  Unfortunately several years ago they had 5 RL411 and 1 WRL411 lined up! [most had ugly "customized" interiors that looked like Grandma's shag carpet]  I only took what I immediately needed to my later regret.  Not for immediate need but for rat holing away for the future needs,  "They are not making them anymore!" 

• Like 1

The "Ecology" auto wrecking yard in Wilmiington is the most likely source of what you are looking for. Unfortunately several years ago they had 5 RL411 and 1 WRL411 lined up! [most had ugly "customized" interiors that looked like Grandma's shag carpet] I only took what I immediately needed to my later regret. Not for immediate need but for rat holing away for the future needs, "They are not making them anymore!"

Its funny cuz i live by there but i dont have time to be going cuz work

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

In my opinion Datsun/Nissan 720 4X4 leafs with drop blocks are the way to go, you will get the best driver friendly result, but it is my opinion.

Using 4 inch drop blocks on your stock leafs will also get you low, but 4 inches is the ragged edge, as getting a flat in the rear could have the lower shock mount drag on the ground.

is this applicable for a 320 also?