My Project 520

FunkyFresh520

Just got myself a 1967 Datsun 520. She's gonna need a lot of work since it hasn't ran in 20+ years, so I'm gonna need some help from you masterminds of these dattos. I've been wanting a work truck so I had to go with something that was old school. My plans with this truck is pretty much get it running good and lower it 3", put some white walls on it with nice chrome hub caps. I'm going for that rat rod look so I want the engine to be all nice and cleaned up and clean wheels everything else will be left alone. Once I get the car at my house I will get more pics and do an update.

i3dlia.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rua7ty.jpg

2eyw0fq.jpg

She's home now!

33a40zo.jpg

Cleaning up the spark plugs and everything to see if she cranks

2z53c7o.jpg

Light still works! :D

2ivffc7.jpg

Is this shift knob original?

2sbpyqq.jpgp

2n9i6gh.jpg

Is this key original?

akhpbo.jpg

Finished for the day, she started right up after sitting for 20+ years! The headlights work, the horn works, wipers work, the tranny grabs but I can't drive her yet because i gotta work on the brakes and clutch fluid but Wow! :D rx7 there that I will be painting also ;)

2mebl8y.jpg

Found the last owners old stash under the carpet xD there all from 88 and 85

21f0fvn.jpg

Cleaned her up

2h34wly.jpg

Is this original?

9rkaom.jpg

Original?

20625x.jpg

Original? For all you that know these cars well can you let me know what's original ide like to know thanx

• Like 1

Well i found out i got the wrong fuel pump, i have a j16 instead of j13, and now i gotta wait around 3 weeks for the right fuel pump.. other than that ive done a engine oil change, trans oil change, diff oil change, spark plugs & wires, battery wires & terminals, air filter, fuel filter & new fuel line hose. I still gotta do a couple things here and there.. would like to know some input from you guys what else should i do for a car that hasnt ran in 20 years

I believe that is a breather hole in the bottom of the flywheel housing area of the transmission case. Also think there was originally a rubber louvered insert that popped in the obround hole. It probably rotted and fell out years ago. The 520 pickups had the top-load trany up to September 65 manufacture and it has the same oval hole. I was lucky to have the original insert in mine ( on a 320 pickup ). I have a pic of the insert in y photobucket but can't post from this computer. A little later today I'll get on the other machine and put you a photo of the insetr on. I've toyed with the idea of trying to cast some up, maybe next winter.

I haven't been into Datsuns but about three years and live in the center of the country where there are not a lot of them left, but I've not seen a finned/ribbed alloy bottom-pan transmission cover. All I've seen are the stamped sheet steel covers.

I believe that is a breather hole in the bottom of the flywheel housing area of the transmission case. Also think there was originally a rubber louvered insert that popped in the obround hole. It probably rotted and fell out years ago. The 520 pickups had the top-load trany up to September 65 manufacture and it has the same oval hole. I was lucky to have the original insert in mine ( on a 320 pickup ). I have a pic of the insert in y photobucket but can't post from this computer. A little later today I'll get on the other machine and put you a photo of the insetr on. I've toyed with the idea of trying to cast some up, maybe next winter.

I haven't been into Datsuns but about three years and live in the center of the country where there are not a lot of them left, but I've not seen a finned/ribbed alloy bottom-pan transmission cover. All I've seen are the stamped sheet steel covers.

Thank you! That picture would help me out

Whoops misspelled it. Zerk fitting. Sorry. It's the little ball on suspension joints where you connect a grease gun to fill then with new grease.

trezerk_zps35fa93a1.jpg

On the bottom of this you can see it

lb1x3.jpg

I need help!! Whats supposed to be in this hole located in the tranny ?

Here's a shot of the inside of the flywheel housing on the older trany with the rubber louver insert installed:

320FloorTrany5_zps70e6fc7b.jpg

And here's the insert on the insert one on the table:

TranyVent_zpsdb14a08f.jpg

Havin' HELL with Photobucket & Firefox, so I'm outta here.

Here's a shot of the inside of the flywheel housing on the older trany with the rubber louver insert installed:

320FloorTrany5_zps70e6fc7b.jpg

And here's the insert on the insert one on the table:

TranyVent_zpsdb14a08f.jpg

Havin' HELL with Photobucket & Firefox, so I'm outta here.

Im sorry for the complications but i greatly appreciate your help!

• Like 1