Msd l20b

Datsundude123

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a Condensor in your distributor this will run.

But I did mention a condensor in my ealy post. But what photos you show dont have a condensor in the distributor.

If you cant hook this up your not going to figure out a MSD hook up.

The condenser is hanging out of the side of the distributor

Ever heard of the placebo effect? That's when a patient is told they are being given a powerful but dangerous medicine to make them better and they recover. But the doctor simply gave them an aspirin or a sugar coated pill. The patient's mind believed so strongly in something that they got better but not because of a pill.

Same with things like MSD. The more you spend on something biases your opinion of how well it does. If you spend $200 on an ignition system it just HAS to be better than the one that came from the factory. No one is going to admit, even to themselves, that they spent money on something that is not a $200 improvement. The more spent the stronger the belief. After market parts makers rely on this to generate sales. That and all your friends re-enforcing your belief.

• Like 1

Ever heard of the placebo effect? That's when a patient is told they are being given a powerful but dangerous medicine to make them better and they recover. But the doctor simply gave them an aspirin or a sugar coated pill. The patient's mind believed so strongly in something that they got better but not because of a pill.

Same with things like MSD. The more you spend on something biases your opinion of how well it does. If you spend $200 on an ignition system it just HAS to be better than the one that came from the factory. No one is going to admit, even to themselves, that they spent money on something that is not a $200 improvement. The more spent the stronger the belief. After market parts makers rely on this to generate sales. That and all your friends re-enforcing your belief.

I just wanted to put my friends msd to use.

Lol yet again.  Ever wonder why your friend took the MSD out of his car/truck?  Many of them bought in the last decade are actually problematic knock-off frauds that never even worked close to properly.  Google the Hotrod Magazine article about how to identify the fakes.  Just a few visual clues, otherwise you'd never know.  Circuit board color is one of them.   Lookup Winterburn Ignition if you want to improve your spark some day, but you need to learn to make fire before you can build a flamethrower.  

• Like 1

Lol yet again. Ever wonder why your friend took the MSD out of his car/truck? Many of them bought in the last decade are actually problematic knock-off frauds that never even worked close to properly. Google the Hotrod Magazine article about how to identify the fakes. Just a few visual clues, otherwise you'd never know. Circuit board color is one of them. Lookup Winterburn Ignition if you want to improve your spark some day, but you need to learn to make fire before you can build a flamethrower.

It's real he just doesn't have the time to go put it on his ka

I just made this thread so I would know for the future

• 5 months later...

If you want something that obsoletes most expert's understanding of ignition systems watch this:

That is a full tutorial on installing a special ignition system that obsoletes every commercially available ignition system on the planet hands down and it DOES make a difference.

It is a full tutorial on a 1977 Datsun 620 with a rebuilt L20B. Need to adjust the accelerator pump on the Weber so it doesn't bog on hard acceleration, but will not be driving crazy with this truck. It is for proving out efficiency and not performance. Will be doing other mods that most people have never heard of.

Yeah I had one of these type on my '64 Dodge, and then on my new '70 Dart. Look up 'Mark 10' capacitive discharge. I didn't notice any difference. Slight whistling sound when ignition turned on just like a camera slave flash.

That was when all there was was points. Now we have the EI matchbox.

Snake oil. As soon as he mentions hydrogen gas systems...... that was it.

Running solid core wires and non resistor plugs will fuck up that msd box eventually. It says in giant bold letters in their instructons not to use fine wire or solid core wires.

That system has about as much spark as an hei setup anyway pretty sure those streetfire boxes are just a plain cdi and dont throw 30 sparks at a time under 3000 or whatever.

Putting on a 6a box is a waste of time, but anything better adds features that are useful. If i didnt need nitrous retard or a rev limiter i would just stick with the matchbox or a pertronix.

I know if you pull a plug wire and get zapped by the msd it hurts alot fucking more than points.

• Like 1